Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Apologies for typing areas - Feeding my 10 month old son! ;)
Typing corrected :tup Please let us know how you get on with your solicitor.
Sounds like a nightmare. Which hotel was it?
Sounds like you've had a nightmare of a stay and I don't condone the behaviour of the hotel management or First Choice, you appear to have been badly treated.

However, playing devil's advocate for a moment, from reading your post the problem started beacuse of ants in your room. I'm assuming you stayed somewhere hot? Ants and other insects are endemic in most hot countries and are something that those of us who live in such places endure and deal with. Ants in hotel and apartment rooms are not really the fault of the staff/mamagement, it happens. Occasionally I get cockroaches in my house in Spain - no-one's fault. I appreciate it was at night but could you not have gone out the next morning and bought ant powder and repellant sprays? For a few quid (or euros) the problem would have been solved and you could have got on with your holiday.
With all due respect, we holiday every year, often twice a year around the Greek Islands and Cyprus and have never had a problem with ants in beds.

There was no possible way we could of controlled the infestation as the problem clearly lied underneath the beds, the beds were concrete bases, with no possible way of putting 'powder' down on the affected areas - you were not able to 'reach' or decipher where the root of the problem actually was. I somehow think that it would not of been 'safe' healthwise to put ant powder / repellant in the beds. Putting them in the bedroom would not of helped.

Furthermore i've had problems with Ants within the Hotel i work within here in the UK, if i told my guests to pop out with a few quid and just put insect repellant down i don't think that would bode well at all?

Yes it is a hot country (Rhodes) - but i don't go on holiday to deal with TUI's pest problems! Yes it was night time and i clearly called the reception to help 'relieve' the problem, to which the managers response was you must move hotel i call the rep. Neither offered to address the situation AT ALL (ie where the ants were coming from etc). I had a nearly 6 month old baby and a 5 year old daughter who was petrified after seeing ants in my bed. TUI were aware that my partners heart condition had flared up (he had been to the local doctor and hospital that same day, and was given medication) - so forgive me for not thinking of sending him out on a wild goose chase at 10pm to find something to use and as already stated above would not help as we could not find the root of the 'problem'

In future i will take every repellant going, a full tool kit 9incase their are any breakgaes i need to fix) and maybe i'll squeeze in a plumber and gas man too - just incase , then i could maybe 'enjoy' the holiday that i'e saved up for :whoops , silly me!
I just get the feeling that something is missing from this complaint. It all seems a bit extreme that you were thrown out of your holiday accommodation because you chose to complain.

Having worked in the travel industry for a good number of years I can probably count on one hand the number of parties that have been "asked to leave" and almost all of them have been found accommodation elsewhere by the tour operator.

For example - one party were not offered another hotel and I got a distraught mother on the telephone complaining her son and his friends had been thrown onto the streets of Benidorm. After contacting our local office, it seemed the boys had literally wrecked the place and had thrown furniture over the balcony into the street below. All of which had been seen and put on video by the night watchman who was just ending his shift and was resident in the room in a block directly opposite.

I'm not saying for one minute that you ran riot through the hotel and I know that the Greeks can be particularly hot tempered if they feel they are being pulled up without justification. However, if there is a genuine problem any hotel will take steps to rectify the issue and so should your holiday representative. Finding the cat in the room which had made a mess obviously did not help but one assumes it crept in during the room preparation and got shut in. An unfortunate incident and not the most auspicious start to your holiday!

You don't indicate too much as to what steps or how long all this took so it's a bit difficult to get an overall picture of the situation or how you came by your alternative accommodation. Even Travel Agents can get involved in working on your behalf via the tour operator and I've been involved in this myself so it seems a bit strange that your agent told you not to worry and send a letter when you got back.

All of this should have been handled by the local office, the tour operator and the hotel management. You should not have had to source your own accommodation under normal complaint circumstance. Hence the reason for my first comment....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.