Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
The best person to advise your wife is her GP or midwife but the fact that airlines will accept bookings for women in the second tirmester of pregnancy suggests that they don't have that many inflight miscarriages.

But you can get to Tenerife without flying though it will take you a minimum of 3 days! Trasmediterranea run a weekly ferry service from Cadiz in southern Spain to Puerto de la Cruz on Tenerife - it takes approx 48 hours. And it will take you approximately 24 hrs to get to Cadiz from St Pancras via Paris, on an afternoon Eurostar service, where you pick up the RENFE train hotel for the overnight journey to Madrid where you then change to an express to Cadiz, arriving early afternoon. Great if you love trains (the Spanish sleeper trains really are like mobile hotels compared to ours), are willing to treat the ferry as a mini-cruise and part of the holiday and can take your time over the journey (you'll spend nearly a week on the journey in total!). And of course are willing to pay the extra cost - this will cost considerably more than your typical no-frills plane fare!

SM
Hi Ramage9 .. for info and discussion specifically about flying when pregnant, we have a dedicated topic in our General Holiday Enquiries forum, please click here.

David :wave
Fred Olsen do cruises ex UK in January to the Canaries. See here for an example: http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise/fred-olsen-cruises/balmoral/04-jan-09/31515/ Price for an inside cabin £974 for 13 nights, full board.
check with your GP but I dont think there is any concern for flying at this stage, if they say OK go.

Stewart
I flew to Tenerife when i was 14 weeks pregnant (flew christmas eve last year) I had no problems at all (well apart from feeling like a bloated whale all holiday - ha ha but they were just personal issues!!)
I am now proud mum to a 5 month and 1 1/2 week old son Zane!!
I think its more worrying later on in the preg to be flying?!?!? as in towards the end
Hi - thank you everyone for their help.

I think the boat is out of the question then, by the time we get to tenerife it will be time to come home!

We have decided to take the plunge and go in Jan! Just looking for a 3 bed appartment now - waiting on a couple of emails and will book!

Looking forward to a cool San Miguel on the beach already!

Thanks again - T
Just to answer my own question (in case anyone else is in the same position) we flew out to Tenerife in Jan (wife was abpout 14 weeks gone) and was all fine. She was a little sick on the flight home, but nothing else.

From what I gathered, it is ok to fly up until about 28 weeks (which I guess is getting close to term of the pregnancy in case anything happened early!). I think some people advise against flying the first 12 weeks, but I think that is more due to whether the woman would be comfortable and suffer from sickness etc rather than because of any danger to the child.

We now have a 3 month old little boy called Ashton and are booking to go back to Tenerife in March!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.