General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
The best time to fly would be between 14 and 28 weeks gestation, when the early risk of miscarriage has passed and before the possibility of premature labour looms

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/pregnancyandbaby/pregnancy/concernpreg/qas/0,,61_178571,00.html
Flying whilst Pregnant

Pregnant women need not be restricted from flying. Most airline permit pregnant women to fly until the end of the 35th week of pregnancy, whereupon expectant mothers are strictly advised not to fly.

Exact stipulations from airline to airline vary, and it is well worth contacting airlines in advance of flying to confirm their regulations. Some airlines, may request a medical certificate specifying the expectant date of delivery.

http://www.flighthealth.org/pregnancy.htm
I flew when I was about 20 weeks.
I got a letter from the hospital saying I was ok to fly as a precaution as I also have a heart problem. Just to cover every angle.
Hi,

I would think that it's just as important to consider whether it will be comfortable to fly and not just safe to fly, especially whilst in the later stages of a pregnancy! There's precious little enough room on most charters without needing to find room for the bump too :-) Especially as they probably won't allow an obviously pregnant women to sit in the seats next to the escape windows! And what about those more and more frequent trips to the loo?

SM
I flew from Turkey to the UK when I was 8 weeks ish pregnant - spent the whole flight standing in the air crew cabin, to try and get away from the smell of the scrambled eggs being served for breakfast - peeeuuggh.

:yuck Still had to use a sick bag though.

Elaine
They didn't let me sit in the only spare extra leg room as it was an emergency exit!
I'd booked Aug for May, got pregnant after a christmas party Didn't know/realise till feb!!!! :shock:

At that point I was over the going to the loo every five minutes (but only for about 4 weeks) and the up chucking(that was the clue to the fact I was pregnant in Feb).

Nutmeg if it's you and you're going somewhere hot, you seem to catch the sun quicker and feel the heat more! Just be warned. I think some women go blotchy! :(
I know this is going to sound really stupid but, does the cabin pressure have any affect on the baby (well the sack surrounding)? You know how you experience lively guts etc,... just wondering
I don't know but after what I went through with my first ( heart problem - only 2nd pregnant lady with it, tests, more test and experiments ) the air pressure i would have thought less harmless than most everyday execise - Not a scientist though!
It depends on the airlines policy , the majority will take you up to about 30 wks but you have to be careful as regards to insurance as most companies will exclude cover if travelling over (i think)28 wks !
Hi, Nutmeg, If you do fly at passport control, tell them you pregnant so you don't need to go through the Xray scan.
Thanks everyone, you are all so helpful :D
Jayl the scanner you pass through at security control is a detector. it is NOT Xray. Only your bags go through Xray. It is perfectly safe for pregnant women to pass through it.

Cheshirecat
hi,

i will be 13 weeks pregnant when we go to majorca....is there anything i need to be aware of ?....can i still go through the scanners etc at the airports?.....

alison
Hi alison ... I have merged your enquiry with this existing topic. Hopefully you may now find the info you need in earlier posts.

David :wave
I flew to cyprus last year when I was 23 weeks pregnant, I just made sure that I stood up every 30 mins for 5 minutes and drank plenty of water. Everything was fine, there is no risk to the baby with regards to cabin pressure, ive also flown 8 years ago when pregnant (20 weeks) and each time ive not walked through the scanner, they have insisted that ive had a body search instead (just like if the buzzer had gone off type search)
Im sure you can fly until you are around 30weeks pregnant. I was just 8weeks pregnant when i went to Kefalonia , with my son............i had only come off the pill four months before. I became pregnant just 2months later........spoilt my holiday a little. Had sickness, and could only manage to drink 2bottles of Beer on a night without feeling sick........ :yuck .......hubby had to do all the drinking for me! :wink:
.......hubby had to do all the drinking for me!

Wonder if I've got time to get the Mrs pregnant before the next hols :twisted: :lol:

Robby :wink:
I flew at 28 weeks pregnant and the baby did not like it a bit.Was doing somersaults all the way! I have heard that the cabin pressure has an effect on the baby but I think it's safe.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.