Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Food
10 Posts
The national dish is probably Ful Mudammas which is made with Fava beans and served with bread called eish masri or eish baladi and some olive oil, it is often served at breakfast.

Other dishes would include well know dishes such as Kebabs and Koftas.

Also popular (and very nice) is Shawerma which is shredde meat such a lamb or chicken served in pitta bread with a Tahini sauce.

It is worth mentioning that some of the Egyptian dishes don't look the most appetising and might put you off trying it, however you should at least give some of the local dishes a try.

Enjoy :tup
Thanks for that. We always try the local dishes - there isn't much that we won't at least try
There is also a tea made from Hibiscus which can be served hot but more usually cold, this is very pleasant and my favourite, it is alleged to be very good for your digestion.

A light hearted tale.
Would you believe my stupidity :duh at breakfast in Luxor you got your milk for cereals etc from a self serve urn style dispenser, not a problem, so after 2 weeks of doing this we arrive home and stay the night at a Travelodge great, we go to breakfast and I have some cereal, I go to put milk from the urn in it and promptly cover my cornflakes in fresh orange juice :whoops
Koshari -- rice, pasta and lentils with a tomato based sauce. Maybe with chilli - but not always. Topped with cris fried onion. Very cheap and lots of staples.
thank you for the replies - Kiltman I know someone who did the exact same thing yesteday morning - and he hadn't even been away :que :D
Kiltman - you should have tried it - it might have been really nice :think ;)
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
There is also a tea made from Hibiscus which can be served hot but more usually cold, this is very pleasant and my favourite, it is alleged to be very good for your digestion.

AHHH Karkady pronounced Kak a dee

One of my favourites too but I prefer it hot in fact you've set me off I will have to go and make one now (brought a box home in November didn't I)
My favourite is Om Ali - a bit like a rice pudding but with other stuff and I like it for breakfast! :cheers

http://egyptianfood.org/om-ali/

I'm hoping there will be some at our hotel - we fly from Cyprus on Friday!!!!!
that sounds wonderful - can't wait to taste it :tup will give the tea a go as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.