France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Oh dear Mike, I wouldn't say that the situation is hopeless, but you are going to get very frustrated if you try to turn up on spec. in August! Certainly there are some spaces in the whole of the south of France, but very few, and are being chased by many (of all nationalities!).

I strongly suggest you book ahead. Our local campsite (and it's not in the South of France) is booked solid throughout the summer!

If you are afraid of the lack of spontaneity, book short stays at several sites, but do book ahead .....
I would beg to differ

We caravan at the end of August (last week)and through September and have never booked yet

We ring ahead as we are travelling and so far have only had one site say no and that was because they had closed due to illness of the owner

We also look for sites that use the Camping Cheque system of payment as it's very cost effective at £10.30 a night for our unit of 2 people
Thanks both for the replies.

What about the last two weeks in July? Would this time be a lot better?

I believe it is August when the country is on holiday?
Paris and all the civil servants start from the 14 July bank holiday and the worst day to travel according to the 'Bison Fute' (Crafty Bison .. traffic flow monitoring) is the last Saturday in July......
hmmm... thanks, I wasn't aware of that either.
Maybe Germany is the answer? - The Black Forest and Bavaria are always beautiful :)
Hi all, have switched forums from egypt to france ~ we have booked crossing from poole to san malo 24/8 returning to Poole on 4/9. i have booked 1 night in hotel on arrival in san malo and thats all!!! never been to france before but hubby wants to take the car over for a change of holiday and to fill the boot with wine :lol: . we will hopefully be driving down to Bordeaux area near the lakes (right hand side of map) and i want to have a look at toulouse (excuse the spelling). any ideas really appreciated :roll: dont want to miss the ferry back to UK. elaine.
Try this place

http://www.twinlakesfrance.com/

Near Bordeaux run by an English couple
things to see in

Toulouse

Toulouse is the centre of France's high tech industry and in particular the aerospace industry (Concorde and Airbus invented here).Airbus also do tours in french and english This has led to the growth of a cosmopolitan, vibrant conurbation with the second largest student population outside Paris.
Toulouse is known as 'La Ville Rose' due to the warm, pink brick used in many of the buildings in the centre of the city. The Vieux Quartier is particularly charming with its narrow alleyways, cafes, oyster bars and squares such as Place Capitole. Here you'll find some grand Renaissance palaces built by merchants who became rich from the woad (blue dye) trade. The fleamarket is also worth investigating and usually takes place on Sundays in Place St-Sernin.

Cite de l'Espace interactive, hands-on exhibition into space exploration. Learn how to launch a rocket!

Basilique de St-Sernin visit the largest Romanesque basilica in Europe

Eglise des Jacobins a Dominican convent with awesome palm-shaped vault

Galerie Municipale de Château d'Eau a 19th century water tower and is home to photographic exhibitions

Cathedrale St-Etienne northern French Gothic style cathedral
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:03 pm Post subject:

Toulouse is the centre of France's high tech industry and in particular the aerospace industry (Concorde and Airbus invented here

Be Very careful

Concorde was a JOINT Anglo French construction and the intial ideas and planning were in Bristol !

Airbus is ASSEMBLED there not invented again it is an joint idea mooted by British French German and originally Spanish Aerospace boffins

They still shouldn't have grounded Concorde and Toulouse IS a wonderful place to visit

Regards
Gray
The madcaravanner from Chesterfield
We stayed at campsite called Le Tedey in the Bordeaux area at Lacunau. Its right on the lake shore and set amongst the woods. There is a little sandy beach with a bar which is nice to watch the sunsets from and you can walk around the lake to a small town with a few nice restaurants. Would recommend it. website is http://www.le-tedey.com

We've decided to head for Switzerland instead of France in August. We are hoping the campsites will be less busy so that we can just turn up. What you think?
Hi Mike,

Probably a better area than the south BUT (and they are big buts) LIE LOW on 1 August which is the Swiss National Day and there are long queues for the borders and NO FREIGHT at all (not quite sure where your campervan comes) and August 15 which is Assomption (Feast of the Virgin Mary when she got 'assumed' into heaven) which is a public holiday in France, Italy (DISASTER!) and Germany for a start!

Your idea of the Black Forest is a good one - and as I live in Alsace, I would suggest that you might like to start over here, and enjoy the Vosges mountains, the local food and wine and beautiful houses before you cross the Rhine.

Kindest regards,

Alsa
August the 15th is only a holiday in Catholic parts of Germany, in Bavaria in the south but not Baden-Württemberg where the Black Forest is situated.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.