Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Gibraltar
12 Posts
So you are off galivanting again!?! :D Is nowhere safe from you two?

Sorry, know nothing about Gib. just didn't want you to feel lonely. :kiss
No Pat, it's not another one. We stop off in Gib. on the cruise, and I want to know which currency they use.

But.............there is another, apart from the cruise. We are having a week in Pineda, Costa Brava. September 18th. It is years since I was there, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things have changed.

Will PM you before you go to Bitez.

Marn.
They use GBP sterling in Gibraltar and you will find a M&S and BHS there. Duty free is cheap, £7 for 200 cigs and I think it was £4.50 for a bottle of spirits.

IF you use the Search facility in the Costa del Sol forums there are several posts there as it's a popular day trip.

luci :wave
Thanks a lot Lucy. Just what I wanted to know.

Marn. :D
hi.....mikenmarn..........if you want to take the bottle of booze back on the ship ....be warned a lot of cruise ships take it off you at the gangway.but you do get it back at the end of the cruise........
regards..............john-doe.........
Hi John-doe, Yes, I do know about the restrictions for taking alcohol on board. We have been on quite a few cruises. But thanks for thinking about it. It is cigarettes I want to buy mostly.

Marn.
Forgot to mention, as it's duty free and not duty paid, the allowance is 200 cigs and 1 litre of spirits.

luci :wave
Please be aware of "dodgy" cigarettes in Gibraltar - even from the drinks and cigarette shops. We go there quite often (live in Spain) and have been caught out a couple of times. Now we only buy them from Safeway supermarket.

http://www.andalucia.com/gibraltar/howtogo.htm

Have a look at this site - it is very good.
Are Safeway and Tesco on Main Street?

How can you be sure you're not buying "dodgy" cigarettes?

I bought some in Barcelona earlier this year, and they are awful.

Not long before we go now.

Thanks for all your answers.

Marn.
Safeway is now Morrisons and is quite near the cruise terminal and Tesco has disappeared, but there are loads of shops in Main Street selling cigs and booze. Benson & Hedges were £10.50 for 200 a month ago, and Bombay Sapphire gin £7.00 (approx) a litre to give you some idea. I've never had a problem with any of the cigs I've bought there.
Dont buy from kiosks. There are one or two reputable tobacco shops on Main Street - and they tend to be a little cheaper than Morrisons. Just dont buy any with French or Spanish writing on them (although now much rarer in Gibraltar) - as they are dodgy for the so called British made cigs.

Enjoy your visit.

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.