Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Gibraltar
2 Posts
Gibraltar for many is down to personal taste - I lived in Gibraltar for 4 years until recently and still go back.

The Euro exchange rate against the pound makes staying in Spain a less attractive option but is worth checking out.

The Iberostar Hotel in La Linea is newish and is of fairly good quality. I have stayed there. Rooms are fine and those facing Gibraltar and the rock very pleasant. They also offer a good buffet breakfast which you can have outside looking at the rock. You can walk to the border and the airport of Gibraltar from this hotel in under 10 minutes and have the advantage of being close to the centre of la linea where there are many cheap tapas bars of good quality - in my opinion better than some up the coast.

Regular bus services run from opposite the airport into the town of Gibraltar. (No 3 and No 9) The Number 3 goes to Europa Point and the No 9 only to botom end of Case Mates Square (which has numerous bars and eating places). The marinas in Gibraltar (two of them) also have many eating houses - some better than others but do cater for most tastes.

The Rock Hotel looks now a bit dated in my opinion but business colleagues did not have many complaints (it is not cheap). The Elliot hotel sometimes has special offers. This hotel is well located for Main Street - and has a fairly nice ambience - also has jazz nights. Again though generally not cheap. These are really the only 2 hotels in Gib I would recommend.

Gibraltar is small and to many odd due to the British influence and local culture. The beaches on Gib are small and could be better. The beach in la linea is better.

I would suggest a 3 night package including la linea is generally enough however it depends on what you really want to do over and above checking out the wonderful views from the top of the rock.

Car Hire can be done from Gibraltar (although a car is not required for Gib). Car Hire can also be done from Crown Car Hire in La Linea. From there you can drive along the coast to Tarifa and beyond. Open beaches and few people. Very nice. You can also should you stay longer consider driving to Seville. I have done that often and while it takes around 2 and 1/2 hours it is easy to do.

Hope it helps.

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.