Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Gocek
22 Posts
Hi Patty

We've stayed in Gocek a couple of times and it's a stunning spot.

I've caught a dolmus from Fethiye to Gocek, but never from Calis. I'm informed by the other half that there is a dolmus from Calis, however it's a short trip (probably 15 minutes) so may be worth considering a taxi. It shouldn't break the bank for a very pleasant day out.

Water is the best way to arrive in town, and there are definately plenty of trips on offer from Fethiye.

Most of Gocek's business comes from the water (yachts and flotillas) rather than people staying in the town. There are four marinas and the place is always a hive of nautical activity.

The swankiest yachts normally moor at the marina (sorry, can't remember the name of any of them off-hand) on the opposite side of the bay. There's a ferry which looks like a replica steamboat that provides a regular shuttle over there from one of the town-side marinas. It's very easy to spot once you're in town. It's worth spending an hour or two just wandering around over there and trying to decide which boat you'd buy if you had three or four million quid to spare. There are a couple of cafes, so it's easy to sit down and mull your decision over a beer if you need to.

Prices in town are surprisingly reasonable seeing as it can be a playground for the rich and famous. Like most places they're higher right on the marina waterfronts. There's really only one other road in town, running parallel to the water and terminating in the little town square. Prices for food and drink and lower there, but you miss out on the wonderful view.

Shopping is limited to a couple of designer outlets and antique/arts and craft type shops.

Hope this helps.

Richard
I agree with Richard, Gocek is beautiful!

It's my favourite place in Turkey, very laid back and quiet, it's more of a place to people watch than anything else.

Restaurant wise I would say try the Kebab Hospital (I know strange name), it's not on the waterfront, but on the back street, closer to Skopea Marina, which is away from the swanky yachts - doesn't look like much, but very very good food. Ask anyone directions and they will tell you how to find it - but it is easy to find, Gocek is so small everything is easy to find!

If you want to sit by the marina and watch the world go by, then the Blue Bar (again down by Skoea Marina) is a good bet, no hassle, just good organic food, and reasonable prices.

It's quieter than Calis, but well worth the visit :)

Heid
xx
Does Anyone know anything about GOCEK how far from dalman airport if any travel companys use this resort
thanks
Gocek's only around 20-25 mins from Dalaman. As mentioned above, accomodation is pretty scarce in Gocek as most people arrive by boat and stay on-board.

Exclusive Escapes have a couple of places:

http://www.hiddenturkey.com/
Ok thanks look very nice place, nice hotels
We are planning our 5th trip to Turkey for the last two weeks in August and are thinking of Gocek.

We are a mid thirties couple without kids looking for a good quality, smallish hotel with a true turkish feel. (We tend to like the sort of property that Tapestry have.)

Can anyone suggest where to stay and eat?
Without a doubt try Yonca's Retreat in Gock.

They are in Eclusive Escapes brochure http://www.hiddenturkey.com

Lovely boutique hotel, beautiful, close to the harbour, and the owners are fantastic.

Exclusive Escapes is run by the ex co managing director of Tapestry- very good service.

Loved my stay there.
Food wise:

Blue bar on the Harbour
Kebab Hospital (silly name - FANTASTIC food).

I love Gocek :)
Hi again Rose

We stayed in the Yagmur Apartments. They were with Tapestry then, but have since gone independent.

http://www.gocekyagmurotel.com/english/default.asp

The place was extremely clean, and the self-catering apartments were spacious and comfortable. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and it's just a five minute gentle stroll to the marina.

There isn't a massive abundance of accomodation in Gocek as - like you - most visitors tend to arrive by boat.

Exclusive Escapes are an offshoot of Tapestry and seem to have nabbed many of the best places to stay. Not stayed with them myself... yet.
Another one to try is the Swisshotel. Fantastic place just off to the right hand side of the village. Its part of the Raffles Group of hotels. Fairly simple but fantastic standards and the staff were really friendly.

Own beach area with golf buggies to take you to it from the hotel (all of a 5 minute walk) but that's the level of customer service they give.
We have just booked our holiday!

1 week at Misafir Evi at Kayakoy near Fethiye and Olu Deniz and the second week at Montenegro near Gocek. Going with Exclusive Escapes - thanks for the reminder about them!
Sounds very nice.... Kaya is beautiful... respect to the departed. Montenegro looks splendid.

When are you going????
We fly off for the last two weeks of August......roll on!
We were thinking of going to Gocek in September this year.
Has anyone ever been.
We have only ever visited Gocek we have never stayed there.

The raison d'etre for Gocek is the marina and yatching. Maybe there is more to see and do there than we found.
this is the main marina area to be honest to stay there would be a quite holiday and a bit more pricey because it is turkeys answer to porto banus not sure on spelling, but if you like boats this would be a great holiday
Yes, Gocek is beautiful. Very picturesque, and peaceful.

There isn't much there in the way of entertainment (except for a few restauarants/bars) and of course - the yachts. I wouldn't liken it to Puerto Banus: Gocek is a quiet little town with just a handful of restaurants, bars and hotels. It has none of the ridiculously expensive nightclubs, restaurants and designer shops which Puerto Banus has; and you don't see Ferraris everywhere! :shock:

I've visited Gocek in both summer and winter, and it's always very laid-back and peaceful. It's the complete opposite of Marmaris.

It's a lovely spot, and best suited to the more sophisticated traveller. I'm not sure if I'd want to spend two weeks there though - I'd find it boring after a while. It would make a great base to do some sailing trips from.

Strawberry
i didn't mean it like that strawberry it was justa comparison as this is more expensive than most resorts
beautiful and tranquil i agree
sorry for miss leading anyone
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.