Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Gozo adventures
21 Posts
Gozo adventures part 2...

scuba diving - Malta and Gozo are listed as being in the top 5 destinations in the world for scuba diving ( behind Australia, Egypt, Maldives)and it is easy to see why. The waters are crystal clear and very warm at this time of year, so warm in fact that Rob did a dive down to 44m with a shortie on. I am not quite so brave and stuck to a 5mm wetsuit, although I could have worn a 3mm and still have been warm enough. There are many wrecks in these waters, some sunk purposely and some are remanants from the war. If you are not qualified to dive deep (ie;Open water and restricted to 18m or above) Gozo has so many beautiful reefs, caves and little swim throughs you can do. These are my particular favourite types of dive and I really enjoyed my check dive through Xlendi caves. Unfortunately, on what was meant to be a scuba diving holiday, Rob caught a cold and very kindly decided to share it with me!! Game over for diving. he did 3 dives and I only did 2! There are many diving centres on the island itself but i can only tell you about a few. In Xlendi, there is Moby Dicks, St. patrick's and Utina. Of these, the first 2 came highly recommended. We decided we would look at both before decideing who to dive with. Moby's has far better facilities than St. Patricks but price wise, they are both about the same. We chose Moby's, however we were disappointed in the standard of service we actually recieved. I don't know if this was because it is a multi lingual school or if we just had a bad day, but our dive guide had very poor levels of communication, had alarming lapses when it came to diver safety and showed what we consider cruelty to an octopus that he chased, dug out from under a rock and then tormented it until it squirted ink. To make matters worse, a rope holding the cylinders and BCD's upright before kitting up snapped sending Rob's crashing to the floor and smashed his mask and dive computer. We ended up spending approx £40 on a mask, as you can't really dive without one and £195 ish on a new computer. We paid up for our one dive and decided to try St. patrick's. St. Patrick's seemed more friendlier but we encountered a communication problem, again as many of the dive guides were european. Admittedly, they all spoke good english and i can speak a little french and german but it was still difficult. There seemed to be a constant stream of guides ready to take people out. I even had a 1:1 lesson to solve buoyancy problems with a guy called Rudi who was german. I was a little alarmed though as his computer kept beeping to indicate rapid ascent and he just kept ignoring it or thumping it! ( rapid ascent can cause "the bends"/decompression sickness and can be fatal).
We were happier at this school than at Moby's but i guess it was just personal choice rather than anything detrimental to Moby's. Utina was the smallest set up and we just collected brochures to take back home for future reference. Over in Marselforn, the dive school we recommend would be Calypso Diving. right next to the hotel of the same name. It seems to have a huge and varied set up and is able to put together packages to cope with large groups. It is our intention to return to Marselforn with our dive school and dive with Calypso. All dive schools had loads of information books, leaflets etc about the dive sites and all sold equipment and t shirts etc.

Places to visit- i guess these have been recommended many times over and it is easy to see why. Azure window and the inland sea are superb to look at and when the waves are crashing the views are breathtaking. When you walk across the top of the cliffs, there are hundreds of fossils just poking out and it is quite mind blowing to think how old the structure must be and difficult to comprehend that at some point millions of years ago, it was all under water. I was so excited when i spied a completely whole preserved flower fossil in the rocks, as clear as anything. I couldn't get the stone out and my picture didn't come out sadly and what was even worse, when we walked back and i tried to show the others in the party where it was, i couldn't find it again!! There is a separate rock just a little in front of the Azure Window and legend has it a knight fell off it and drowned within an arms length of safety at the shore.
Ta'Pinu Church is just breath taking. This is one of a number of excellent churches across the islands and even if you are not particularly religious, it is well worth a visit just to view the magnificent architecture and read the history behind it. Also, high on the hills, there are statues of Christ, supposedly at the 7 different stages in his life and this is a great walk to go and look at them all. Again at Ta'Pinu, women must cover their shoulders up and everyone must respect the importance of this building in terms of it's religious significance. (I think the legend is that many years ago a cleaner had a vision of Lady Madonna and then some sort of miracle happened). Either way, right at the end on either side of the church, it is adorned with photo's, letters, baby clothes and a whole host of things sent in from all over the world where people have prayed for a miracle or have written about how they tragically lost loved ones. Some of them are really moving and there is a "Crying Room" for people who are overcome with emotion to have a little privacy.
The Citadel is in the capital and is a fortress from the middle ages when Gozo was under seige I think from when the Turks tried to invade. It also has an old jail and courthouse and there are many statues in the courtyard. You can walk around the outer walls. I was so busy enjoying this walk, I didn't really take in as much information about this site as I should have done. I will return and I will endeavour to have a little more knowledge about this.
Ghantijja Temples are not far from Xaghra and the ruins are 5000 years old estimated. They are the oldest remains anywhere in the world and are older than Stonehenge and the Pyramids. I just wondered how on earth this ancient civilisation could have built something like that without the technology we have these days. We also visited the Calypso Caves and basically crawled in a hole in the rocks after going down some rickety stone steps!

Part 3 will follow.. i have to do some work today!!!
This post is 2 years old but I really want to thank you for the report I'm going in july and this is very nice to read.

:wave: bye
I love Xlendi - one side of the valley is all natural and the other side is a developed area.
The sea is lovely and it is also a popular location with divers!
I loved Xlendi, loved the diving...
Is Madame Ping's restaurant still there on the road from Xlendi to Fontana??
If I'm not mistaken it is still there yes.
Is that one for me to try then . Sounds like a chinese restaurant .. Is it ?? :D
I've been there once and it was good ;)
Definitely one for you to try Lyn...there was also another place over looking Mgarr called Il Bucket...high on the cliffs and you can sit out on the terrace and watch the ferry port. It also has superb views of Malta and Comino (the little island in between). Prices are quite reasonable there and they do alot of pasta dishes, fish, steaks etc.
Excellent , just seen there is an eating places topic so will have a run through that too . I assume all these places are easy to get to from where we are staying .. Goodness Can't even remember what it was called now although can remember I needed lessons on how to pronounce it . :D
I'm not sure if I read this when you first posted it Val. :think (probably did, & have forgot) But have really enjoyed reading it just now.

I have very fond memorys of a couple of evenings we had out with the kids when they were younger, sitting at the front of St Patricks Hotel on their terrace eating evening meals & drinking in the views, trying to drag it out for as long as possible as we just didn't want to leave and spoil an idylic moment !

I also remember the little ice cream place round the back, seemed so funny how in a place that was really quiet all the locals would suddenly flock there as if from nowhere to buy their ice creams late evening. It was so busy it took us an age to get to the counter to get our own, but it didn't matter as it was nice to feel part of something local to the area and not just for tourists.. I wonder if it was the little one next to Cseven that you mentioned ? They had every flavour under the sun.

I stayed in the hotel where 'Steve and Eileen' from Corrie where filmed as staying in - I recognised the rooms & pool during the episode lol

xxx

Doe :sun2
Visited Gozo yesterday, lovely Island, we really enjoyed our visit & would love to back :tup
I told you to go to Gozo if you got the chance Glynis glad you went as I knew you'd like it.
I actually prefer Gozo to Malta and would love to go back..if I can persuade a certain someone...
I think you might stand a pretty good chance Val :D .

In the meantime you can just be jealous when I go in ... 4weeks today (I think ) :hols
I dont think I have..they hate Malta..but perhaps I could persuade them about Gozo!
Malta is surely busier - Gozo is much more relaxing :)
enjoyed reading your post . Yep I agree for those looking for a relaxed holiday Gozo is better than Malta.
There are various hotels on this site - both in Malta and Gozo: http://www.maltahotelsonline.com
I had checked it out and used it before - it is good because rates are cheaper on this this
I had a week's holiday in Gozo a few years ago. A charming little island and we stayed at a wonderful hotel however I will never return to either Gozo or Malta until they stop shooting migrating birds for the pleasure of it. It's absolutely outrageous the numbers and the types of bird that they shoot.
During the seasons of spring and autumn the cliff tops turn in to the killing fields. It seems every male in Gozo has his own little plot. A sentry box at one end where the shooter lies in wait and boulders marking out the plot. A caged bird is put on many of the boulders to attract overflying birds with their song. The inviting pool of water in the middle is made to look reassuringly safe by having a bird tied to a stick by it's leg so it can flutter upwards a small degree appearing to be free. When the unsuspecting birds land, a lever is pulled which send a net flying over the entrapped birds.Those who don't land are just shot at.
Who knows how many birds, some rarities too,are killed every year. I have decided to boycott the islands until it ends. You should too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.