Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Greek Easter
10 Posts
Symi for Easter. Each time we go it gets more spectacular. We love it but don't go then if you don't like bangs. The boys use dynamite, often buried in black powder, and see how much of the hillside they can blow into the harbour. You will be warned to leave windows open to reduce the blast effect but we have lost a glazed door before now. The police are long-suffering for 3 days.
The processions, the food, the music and dancing in the Square, the Midnight and Good Friday services, the town barbecue (free!) are all wonderful. A figure of Judas is filled with fireworks, paraded around the harbour and then blown up in the Square. Very entertaining.
As you say, Orthodox Easter is the same this year, April 8th, and air services are not wonderful that early. We have to fly to Athens (BA from LHR last year) and then the splendid Aegean Airways to Rodos. Ferries are easy from there.
PM if you want more details. I can even find some photographs.
We have also spent Easter in Crete (Chania) but it was much more restrained and peaceful. Wherever you go, you will thoroughly enjoy it. Don't go to Athens, There will be nobody there. Everybody decamps to the islands for Easter.
Yes, I would be interested to know more and see some photos. It doesnt sound easy to get to Symi. An island I would like to visit I must admit.
I had a go at uploading some photos of Symi Easter to this HT Site but found it a bit difficult. Come back, Briar, all is forgiven (or nearly all).

I have, therefore, posted them on

http://www.firestation.org.uk
Click on the Photographs link.

I have reduced each one from 4.2M to about 300k and put them all on one page so I hope you can read them.

Travel is usually very easy. You can fly to Rhodes from just about anywhere during the main season (even Bristol, thank God) and there are about 4 ferries a day at different times. These can take anything from 50 minutes on the old Hydrofoil Aegli to 1:45 on the bigger ferries. Any flights before 1st May or after 25th October get more interesting.

http://www.symivisitor.com have lots more photos and info.
Just seen this particular item. Going to stay near Kalambaka at easter and will be there thurs, good friday and possibly easter saturday. anyone been before at this time of year and can give information on how the festival is celebrated?
thanks
an outline to the Greek celebrations can be found on the following link

http://www.greecetravel.com/easter/

wizard
Very good article. Many thanks. Brought back lots of memories.
Greekofile, try not to miss Easter Day. The Midnight service, followed by the Sunday celebrations, are spectacular.
rpbristol
thanks. We will be in Greece until Tuesday. If we leave the Kalambaka area before easter day to head back towards the airport (i.e Athens area) can you suggest anywhere else to see this spectacle?
thanks
Sorry, the only bit of Athens I know is the Airport Hotel whilst waiting overnight after all flights were cancelled because of another ATC strike. That caused a few fireworks.
rpbristol
thanks anyway. If it's good around Kalambaka might just hang around or find other villages.
Cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.