Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Most shops are shut on Friday, Sunday and Monday and some also on the Tuesday. Shops and restaurants in tourist areas will be open though. On Friday evening there is often a procession from the Orthodox church and then on Saturday just before midnight, there is a religious service. Bonfires are lit outside churches and an effigy of Judas is burnt. This is followed by a candlelighting ceremony when Easter candles are lit in the church and carried home by people attending. In recent years some bonfires have got out of hand with gangs "guarding" them. Fireworks are sometimes set off at midnight depending on where you are. On Sunday most Cypriots go off to their villages to celebrate with BBQs and lots of food and drink. Games for children are played in the villages on the Monday.
Hope that helps!
Carol
LizzieMac - CarolH has given most of the information but you should be aware of the fact that MOST if not ALL restaurants will be closed by 9.30pm-10pm (even in tourist areas !!!) on Saturday Night as staff go off to church for the pre-midnight service.

Remember Easter is celebrated in Cyprus as the UK would celebrate Christmas - it is by far their most important religious day.

Have a GREAT one

D&P
Thanks for all the info guys... That really helped! I knew we could expect a few things going on, and always good to be prepared... looking forward to seeing some different customs, and to join in with the locals xx

Happy Easter! (we're having Easter twice! - does that mean I can have more choclate? lol)
We were in Paphos for easter a few years back and it was magical - perfect. The hotel put on a visit to the local church for the easter saturday celebrations with candles, bonfires and fireworks and a meal after. Later on the Sunday there were BBQs everywhere, village celebrations and a superb atmosphere.

The hotel did not have any music on from the Thursday until Easter Sunday out of respect - the tv was all religious programmes.
Our visit was made special by Robert Powell (who had once been Jesus of Nazareth) turning up for the easter saturday celebrations at the church we were at ----------- very odd ---- for once I was lost for words!

If you recognise and respect the religious customs you will have a fabulous time.

Am jealous!

:cheers
Our visit was made special by Robert Powell (who had once been Jesus of Nazareth) turning up for the easter saturday celebrations at the church we were at ----------- very odd ---- for once I was lost for words!

If during the Easter Celebrations someone who I remember from my childhood? as representing "Jesus" turns up, I think I'd still be in councilling ! :really
Just to make it worse - the Cypriot TV had been bombarded with Jesus of Nazareth for a week ... and Mr P turned up at the celebrations all dressed in a white suit while everyone was in black ..... ;)

Was in a state of shock for hours ............ some people think I still need counselling ! :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.