Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
You might do better asking here.
That forum, run by Holiday Truths member Jimbox, is full of Paphos area based ex-pats etc.

Mark
Cheers Mark, but I have never heard of one in Paphos..but you could ask on that link 8)
http://www.jewishcyprus.com/templates/articlecco.htm?AID=396491

This may be of some help.
There's an email address on there.

Mark
I'm sure those that follow these eating 'types' will already know but I thought I'd just point out that Halal and Kosher are not the same and aren't interchangeable. I.e. you couldn't got into a Halal meat shop and buy meat to be used for a Kosher meal. They follow different principles, different ceremonies and different standards.

Steve
Never thought of that Steve, and a very good point..so what is that question all about then...?
Post edited for copyright reasons. Please feel free to provide a weblink, rather than reproduction of material.
Many thanks
David HT Mod

If I could remember what it was I would. :roll:
Having just got back from Paphos, i thought i should update this thread.
There is a Halal butcher in Geroskipou. Its on the main road (B6) from the airport towards Paphos. Its located on the side of the Lebanese cafe.
Just thought i'd share that with anyone who needs to know.
thanks for the info Junglist, but could you fill us in on why halal or kosher? you've got us all wondering how they relate now !

Steve :)
Before i start, this is a personal thing and may or may not apply to all muslims.

I am a muslim and therefore only supposed to eat halal meat. This can be any meat (except pork and a few other animals) that has been slaughtered in the name of God.
My sect of Islam allows us to eat kosher meat also, as it has also been slaughtered in the way prescribed to muslims. Although Jews dont say the same prayer as Muslims, it is on a similar level, i think.

This is a very basic description as I am not really that knowledged on such matters to be honest but if there is any further information you require pm me and i'll send you some links.

Hope that helps.
Wow I am well and truely shocked at that ! Having seen/studied/watched/spoken to many people from both Halal and Kosher sides I really find it astounding that they can be "cross referenced".

The way I'd seen it was you have to do "this, that, then this, followed by a, b, c and d" otherwise it couldn't be touched. I mean there are many many cultures (including English butchers) where animals are bled to when slaughtered

From what I've seen Kosher meat is on the highest level when it comes to making sure the "eater" doesn't get anything they shouldn't but I still can't follow how this could convert to another religion. Isn't that like saying as long as you go into a Church/Mosque/Synagogue and say a prayer of some kind you are worshiping your own religion???
Why be shocked? There is as much variety within Islam and Judaism as within Christianity. As a Quaker I consider myself a Christian and as a Quaker I belive that God is everywhere and can be worshipped anywhere. I enjoy visiting churches of all persuasions, as well as synagogues and mosques when on holiday and I always find a quiet spot to sit and offer a prayer. I don't have any problems with attending and respectfully sitting through, or even particpating in, other people's services either to the extent that they don't compromise my own beliefs and have experienced others attending and finding it it an enriching expereince to be part of Quaker Meeting for Worship. Such interfaith dialogues are increasingly common. I don't know anyone who 'worships their own religion' - we worship our God/Gods and a great many of us are agreed that we actually worship the same God, albeit in different ways depending on the tenets of our particular religion. I speak English so I talk of God, my Moslem students refer to Allah, using the arabic word for God, both Christian and Jewish friends sometimes use the word Jehovah (simply one of the many names to be found in the Bible) but I and many of them have no trouble with the idea that we are all referring to the same divine spirit or presence.

RE slaughter practices the really crucial aspect of Kosher and Halal slaughter requirements is that the animal is conscious whilst bled. This is not standard practice in UK abattoirs where, unless the animal is to be used for Halal or Kosher meat, the animal is stunned and killed via a bolt to the brain prior to bleeding. Meat killed in this way can never be Kosher or Halal.

I certainly have personal experience of other Moslems, just like junglist, regarding kosher meat as acceptable - I attended a Jewish school as a child and at the time (pre-1967) there was a Moslem family that send their children there precisely because that as far as they were concerned the Kosher kitchen arrangements at the school meant that their children could eat anything that was likely to be served up. Similarly, I have come across Reform Jews who wouldn't have eschewed Halal Meat because the actual slaughter processes are identical even if the the prayers said over the animal aren't.

Boy, this has turned into a pretty heavy discussion for holiday forum hasn't it :-)

SM
Boy, this has turned into a pretty heavy discussion for holiday forum hasn't it

Yes it has, and as the original question has now been answered I shall lock it.

kath HT Admin
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.