Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
you would be better looking at the topics in the flight forum ,, you will also get a better response
At the moment with the current restrictions you can not take ipods, mobiles and so on as hand baggage, they have to go in hold luggage. However restrictions may change so I would check with your Airline.

Sarah
:hmmm thought mobiles could go in hand luggage..??
Hi
We just came back from Cyprus, out going we could not take any drinks or liquids of any sorts, no medication unless prescribed and no lighters, but once we got into the departure lounge and duty free shops we could buy drinks, perfume and another lighter, could take mobile phones cameras and ipods and we could take them on board in hand luggage. We flew with First Choice, so dont know if rules apply to all airlines. coming back no trouble at all, bag size on going was restricted to a certain size.
Check your airline.
Wendy
thanx trendiewendy...youve put my mind at rest.. :P
All you can take on board is a bag the size of a laptop.

No drinks.

But, you can put what would be your normal hand luggage in with your main luggage.

It is the airports setting the restrictions, not airlines.

Hand baggage restrictions

Passengers are now permitted to carry ONE item of hand baggage, no larger than the specified size, through the airport security search point. The dimensions are as follows:

45 centimeters long (approximately 17.7 inches)
35 centimeters high (approximately 13.7 inches)
16 centimeters long (approximately 6.2 inches)

http://www.gatwickairport.com/

CLICK HERE

http://www.gatwickairport.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static%20Files/hand_baggage31Aug.pdf

** Edit to shorten link which was stretching the page. luci HT Mod **
We bought bottles of Gin and Vodka, also bought perfume, cigs, in the departure lounge and was able to take them on board in carrier bags and put them in the over head compartment.
Wendy.
Travelled to Paphos on the 16th August from Glasgow with First Choice, just shortly after the restrictions came into force. Was able to take I-pod, mobile and prescribed medication on board with us. All shoes had to be put thru the x-ray machine along with hand baggage. My handbag was searched but the hand luggage (vanity case) I had taken was given back to me untouched, no one looked anywhere near it apart from the x-ray machine operator who processed it. My husbands hand luggage was not searched either, as we had not taken on-board food he had a selection of goodies inside it like sweets, crisps and filled rolls. Once thru you were able to purchase duty free goods ie perfume & alcohol, we also purchased bottles of water and coke etc in WH Smiths which was also able to be taken on board.

Returned from Paphos on the 30th and there was no restrictions apparant whatsoever.
I know this is back to front now.. but what can I bring back with me?..

I'm actually thinking about things like tins of food.. no I'm not going over to do my shopping, but I'm sure I'm going to come across something I'd like to bring back with me to sample again (real tahini or maybe octopus in vinegar in tins.. that sort of thing..)

can I ?

what about cheese as I've heard that people have had this removed?.....

I'm not just talking hand luggage.. I mean in the cases etc.. ?
Anything that is in your case will be OK - I brought back a tin of Tuna and it was still in the case when I got home !!!

Things like Halloumi are actually on sale in the duty free outlet at the airport so I can't see how it can then be taken off you. If you are going to Paphos look out for the E&P Hypermarket its on the road up from the harbour on the righthand side, shortly after the traffic lights at Tomb of the Kings road. Lots of unusual things available in tins in there I was facinated. They also do clothes etc at really good prices. I got a pair of leather sandals last week for £4.50cy and they are lovely and comfy.

Enjoy your shopping - suppose it saves you a job when you get home !!!
thanks Molliesmum,

not so much shopping when I get back more of a I want some things to remind me of... you know when you get home and tell people about this fabulous dish you had.. well I like to recreate them.. and a few authentic ingredients wouldn't go a miss...
Hi Steve :D

Your dishes always look great :wink:

I always bring olive paste and Feta home with me. Last December I brought

two joints of beef. I froze them in my daughter in laws freezer then put them

in a cool bag :lol:

Helenxx
Some of the information posted here today does not reflect current hand luggage restrictions which are in force at UK airports. As this issue is not directly relevant to Cyprus, it may be best if you check out the current topic in our Airlines & Airports forum, which we try to keep up to date with the latest information.

Feel free to discuss matters specifically related to Cyprus here, but for info about restrictions and regulations at UK airports, please use the other forum in order to avoid any misinformation here.

Many thanks

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.