Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Lisa is it the Diani Sea Resort?

Sarah
Lisa
kenya is a fantastic country and a great place for a honeymoon. We went last year for the first time, enjoyed it so much we can't wait for 19 March when we go again.

We had a "taster Safari" 3 days 2 nights Tsavo and it was Paradise, this time we hope to do more. One night we stayed at an Eco Camp in tents(very civilised double bed, hot shower) the 2nd night at a traditional Lodge.

I don't know your hotel, but a common theme across most reviews are the staff are very friendly, they want you to come again and enjoy a 1st class holiday.

Stop worrying start saving, what better for a honeymoon than a hot air ballon flight across the Masa but it will cost a lot on top of the Safari. Otherwise life is not too expensive. Try a visit at night to Fort Jesus for a candle light meal.
Dariusdave
We stayed in Leopard Beach Hotel just a few hundred yards along the beach. The beach boys said Diani Reef Resort was the best in the area so I doubt you have to worry.

The only 'problem' I found with staying at Diani beach was that it can be a bit of a trek into Mombasa where there were a few things we wanted to do (it's a ferry ride and a fair bit of a drive).

I can recommend the Phili Pippa boat trip, bit of dolphin spotting, bit of snorkelling, bit of throwing up (if you are like me and several others on the boat who hadn't done it before), lunch (off the boat) - a very nice day out.

If possible see if you can get to the wood carving co-operative place. You can see stuff being made as you tour round, buy it in the shop there (no bartering) and at least you know it wasn't mass produced rubbish like you'll get on the beach.

See here http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294206-i9216-Kenya.html for info on arranging short safari's with local operators who have been tried and tested by the posters.
Some good info here too http://www.dianibeach.com/zprimary/intro.htm print the map of Diani beach. I'd also recommend a nice romantic dinner at Ali Barbours Cave (they have a website) when you get fed up with your all inclusive buffet! They will pick up/drop off, as do most of the outside restaurants - it is not safe to roam about when it's dark.
I've added the Diani Reef Beach Resort to our review site.

If anyone has stayed here please add your review by Clicking Here

Many Thanks

GaryandMarksmum if you haven't yet done so would you kindly add your review of the Leopard Beach Resort by Clicking Here

Many thanks :wave
Lisa

Don't forget all your jabs and malarone tablets.. .. you can get the malarone over the internet ... Travelpharm are good, get your doctor to put yours and hubby to be on one prescription.

Do get the repellants, prevention is better than getting bitten, take a plug in with you for the room.

Do remember to allow the £30 each for the entry visa, just as easy to get it in Mombasa and there's no postage costs.

Your room boy will be more than gratefull for any creams, lotions, shampoos, soap etc when you leave. ( We also donated tea bags, coffee and mugs , hubbies t-shirts and painkillers . )

The poverty there is appalling to put it mildly, the staff work for a pittance and will be glad of your gifts , socks are apparently very much in demand. The orphanages welcome you whether you take gifts or not, but you would want to give having seen the children. It's not always sensible to give money as even in the orphanages there can be "miss-appropriation " of funds . Pencils, toothpaste and brushes, soap, childrens
clothing is very much appreciated. While the local children are so sweet it is not good to hand out goodies as it encourages begging , better to give to the parent.

Sorry if I've rambled , hope you have a lovely wedding, your honeymoon will certainly be fantastic ...... don't forget to let the hotel know that it will be your honeymoon.
Lisa

Just got back from The Diani Reef Resort last night, went for my sons wedding there. In short , yes it is a great choice but with a few reservations.

Will do a full report later.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.