Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
i went to protaras for the 1st time last year

although i was a member on here and used the site to confirm a few details i had a few reservations about protaras myself

you can find quiet if you want it and you can find noise if thats what you want to

my advice would be go and enjoy yourself
not been to that area for a few years but from memory the mimosa is well to the south of the town i would guess around 1.5km
We holiday'd here for the first time this year and I can ssure you it is nothing like
a Cypriot version of Blackpool or Paignton?
although I've never been to Paignton. ;)
Ity's a lovely place, it has modern and traditional and I would recommend hiring a car, that way you can get a feel for the real Cyprus. We enjoyed it that much we are going back next year.
Let us know how you get on. :wave:
You will be well out of the way of karaoke bars and even further from McDonalds. Harrys is closer to Cape Greko than Protaras.

Don't worry - you sound like you will be fine where you are going.

Ady
PS Enjoy :)
Even smack in the middle of Protaras you can still pick and choose what sort of place you go to ! Yes it has loud karaoke bars and such but also has more traditional Cypriot restaurants and quieter bars etc.... It ain't Blackpool !
I have to completely honest here and say we have been once to Protaras and we didn't like it. We couldn't escape the karaoke bars although things may well have mellowed as karaoke is not so fashionable as it was then. We did find lovely traditional food though. Perhaps where you are might be a lot better with more peaceful places around it. Are there areas within Protaras which people could recommend?
I've stayed at the Mimosa Hotel twice, and me and my partner loved it. Its very much out of the way and must be one of the most peaceful places I've ever visited.
If Protaras is a bit too lively for you, you could try Pernera just down the road ! Thats what we do as its just a bit more out of the throbbing centre of Protaras but only a 20minute walk if you crave something louder.

Steve
Thanks for the replies, my mind has been put at ease now. I'm not adverse to a bit of fun and may well have a night in Ayia Napa, but I can't see the point of traveling abroad and going to 'English bars, eating the full English and drinking crap fizzy beer exported from the UK'.

It seems that there maybe some salvation after all. I'll let you know how we get on.
erm.. they brew Carlsberg in Cyprus !... :tup
We found the 'ouzo specials' very nice indeed.... several times :rofl
Just got back, there was no great need for alarm, where we stayed ( Mimosa Beach Hotel) was a little haven, far enough away from Protaras to ensure that peace and quiet were very evident. The rooms were tidy and clean, the food was decent ( not a la carte, but with the holiday only being £350 all in, it was more than acceptable) and it is run by a lovely couple, who have a hands on approach ensuring that all the guests feel welcome. It stands about 25 yards from the beach, has a pool and a poolside bar with a real character called Stelios behind the bar, he dutifully learns all the guests names and loves to take you on at chess.

Protatras was pretty tat, Only Fools and Horses pub, Friends pub etc - I guess it takes all sorts, but to sit in a bar drinking canned John Smiths, watching continual repeats of telly programmes isn't my idea of a holiday. Still it was slightly better that our couple of hours in Ayia Napa, the nicest part if that resort is the harbour and that was spoiled by the two large 'booze cruise' boats, competing on who could play the loudest music and F & Blind over their PA systems. At least some peace was restored when they set off to sea.

The snorkelling was great, the small tavernas and restaurants just outside Protaras we found were great and we intend to return and hire a car, to really see some of the more rural and traditional areas of the island. Probably at the end or start of the season as it really got too hot (96° in the shade every day, 100°+ in the sun) to really do much walking and exploring.

The local beer was fine (Keo & Leon) why the need to import John Smiths is beyond me - and I did get a taste for the Ouzo specials........ as well as the local wine.
hst... nice to see allwas well

dont forger to do a hotel report for the mimosa

yasus

wizard
glad you enjoyed it. A must do when you hire the car are the Troodos Mountains. Beautiful little villages there.
hst... nice to see allwas well

dont forger to do a hotel report for the mimosa

yasus

wizard

Report done, although it hasn't appeared, do you check them before posting them?
yes- I'm just going through them now- I'll make sure yours is next ;)
and here it is :) A very detailed report which will be a great help to others.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.