Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Some people have little to complain about Lizzie, they can make mountains out of mole hills! I would go and enjoy! :sun2
My DIL, her sister's and her mum went there last year, said it was great. So great that 15 of them including my son and grandchildren are going back this year. I wouldn't worry too much about bad reviews, you can't please everyone!

Often in Turkey you will need to have a credit card available for hospitalisation, even if you have insurance - just the way it works over there.

Denny
There have been problems at the Holiday Village with food poisoning but it was during the height of summer - July and August. As you are going in May, at the beginning of the season then you have little to worry about. Many people have been there and had a fantastic time.

Try not to worry too much and just enjoy your holiday :sun2
Not really sure about having to show a credit card first, haven't heard that before, but what I have heard is that when people have needed medical attention on holiday, it has been excellent. Apparently the treatment available is first class, so wouldn't worry too much!
Thanks for the replies everyone... very helpful.

xx
we went last year (end of July) there was alot of people being ill but personally i think it was due to people drinking excessively and not taking care in the sun if it was to do with food poisioning then why wasn't everyone ill!!
we personally didn't like the place it was too big and crowded for us and a a bit too far from anywhere
but i'm sure you will enjoy it
we found the food to be lovely and tried almost everything
have a great time and stop worrying !!!! :rofl
I don't know that particular resort, but if it does have a reputation for bad hygiene, then I'd change hotels now. There may be an administration cost, but that will be worth every penny in my opinion. Who wants to spend their holiday throwing up? Besides, it will cost you more in the long run if you are taken ill, as your insurance company will often wriggle out of paying for medicines etc. Most holidaymakers use the private healthcare system in Turkey, and it's every bit as good (if not better) than the NHS.

I've been to almost all of the tourist resorts in Turkey; lived out there on and off for two years; and travelled around, too. I've eaten in 5 star hotels and top restaurants, and have also bought food from roadside stalls, and have never been sick.

As long as you take the normal precautions - always washing your hands BEFORE eating, for example - you should be OK. If you're particularly worried about the food try to eat deep-fried - deep frying kills all the bugs. And avoid ice cubes, water which has the seal broken, unwashed fruit and salad etc. The worst way to pick up food poisoning is from buffet food - the food is often rehashed and reserved several times - it's left out unrefrigerated (with flies sometimes hovering about) and lots of people breathe/cough/splutter over it - or even stick their finger in for a taste to see if they like it!!

But these rules apply to all countries - not just Turkey.

Strawberry
Thanks again for the replies..

Strawberry: I feel sick just reading your description! But I have decided to go and make the best of it..I have read some more encouraging reviews, and obviously good hygiene will help, will take antibacterial gel with us, and avoid ice, salads etc..hopefully because it's the start of the season the staff will be more conscious of high standards, which maybe slip during the the busiest time of the season of July/August..

Also, I usually develop a dicky tummy a few days into any foreign holiday, and will go armed with meds ready for any upsets.

Wish us luck!
We visited the said hotel the 2nd week in May back in 2007 and it was fine. It was Iberostar Tropical then with the other half being the Holiday Village but it was basically all the same. No problems with sickness, its just the size of the resort means some people will get ill, that is all!
after all the bad press the h/v recieved all the top dogs of first choice where in the resort last october rectifing any problems which there will always be in a complex of this size'
just don't be silly make sure you keep your hands washed and always eat what you feel is right for you if you feel something is not right bring it to the attention of the management otherwise they cannot act
just enjoy you stay i'm sure you will my friend dan has just flown back for his second season there he loves it :sun2
try what the Turks drink in Turkey it's a yoghurt drink that tastes of salt and is called Arran . It helps all stomache probs. :)

gb
groovybaby wrote:
try what the Turks drink in Turkey it's a yoghurt drink that tastes of salt and is called Arran . It helps all stomache probs. :)

gb

Ayran is a bit of an aquired taste, but the Turks certainly swear by it for all sorts. We were told it was the best thing to drink when it was very hot, as it keeps your salt levels up and keeps you hydrated. It's not to everyone's taste though, although I quite like it.
Groovybaby - we had brilliant kebabs and they came with that yogurt drink. I didn't understand what it was and poured it over my kebab - went a bit soggy, I must say!! Def an acquired taste, but I guess you could get used to it. We had a fridge full of the stuff as none of us really liked it and we ate a fair few kebabs! Have to say that all the food we had was really nice, good quality and none of us had any stomach upsets at all and we ate at all sorts of places. Hoorah for Turkish food!! Hhx
groovybaby wrote:

gb

If you don't like the taste of ayran then you can juts eat plain yogurt as that will help just as well. I don't like ayran but I love yogurt. My husband drinks ayran all the time though.
I went when it first opened in 2005 (i think it was), it had been on tv holiday's from hell and you know what it was the best holiday we ever had.

Enjoy it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.