Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Must it be from Heathrow ? Do you know that you can fly direct from Gatwick to Ireland West Airport Knock with Aer Lingus, and from Stansted or Luton direct to Ireland West Airport Knock with Ryanair ?

If it must be Heathrow, then Aer Lingus and BMI fly from there to Dublin, and Aer Arann from Dublin to Ireland West Airport Knock.

David :wave
Much as I dislike Ryanair, they've certainly got the routes to Knock sorted ... Stansted, Luton or Bristol ... to start with.
krankie_frankie,

For your dates, the Best price I am picking up is £159.81.

That is LHR-MAN with British Airways
MAN-NOC with BMI Baby

Then return
NOC-MAN with BMI Baby
MAN-LHR with BMI

Gower
Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't have to be 100% from Heathrow, But seeing I live a stones throw away and also work there. It would be easier and would mean I could leave my car in my works car park and get a lift over to the terminal from airside.

As for flying BA, no thanks. With my luck they will go on strike the days I want to travel.
What you have to decide then is whether the convenience of flying to Knock from your local airport, but with a change at Manchester or Dublin, is better than travelling to another London airport and taking a direct non-stop flight to Knock.

Some of the direct flights for your dates were free, you pay only taxes and charges. Compare that with the fare of £159.81 which GowerL7 got for you via Manchester. But bear in mind that it's almost a week since you posted and we had a look at things, so fares and availability may have changed in that time.

You are quite right, I'm waiting to hear back from my grandparents in Knock Ireland as to if my suggested dates are ok. Then I will decide what route to take. I can get to Gatwick in just over an hour and at a cost of around £15 so I haven't ruled it out entirely.

Just checked out the Aer Lingus website and I can get a direct return flight at £106 flying from Gatwick, so add the £15 it will cost to travel to Gatwick I think that's sounding my best option really.
I booked my flight, Gatwick -Knock.

However after I booked it I found out I had booked the wrong destination airport.

20 odd years ago I flew into Ireland to a little airport just outside of Galway which I thought was Knock airport, turns out it wasn't (No idea what it was then) Have been told I should have flown into Galway via Dublin as the little airport either is gone or not an option now. So now instead of my grandparents picking me up from Galway and 10Km away, they have to drive to Knock ( I thought they lived in Knock, they live in Knockdoe!) about 50KM away. Or I will have to bus it down to Galway and they pivck me up from there!

I tried to change my booking but to no avail without astronomical costs.
:whoops Hopefully what you may have saved by booking a direct Gatwick/Knock flight compared with a Heathrow/Dublin/Galway flight may go some way towards any additional transport costs from Knock Airport down to Galway. But I think 50km may be a little optimistic, Knock Airport to Galway City is around 85km.

They live just outside Galway. About 20 minute drive. Couldn't tell you the exact KM as I only used Google maps, they aren't to good at finding my grandparents house in a field in the middle of nowhere :que

Oh well, I'll know not to do that again in 20 years time!
It could be worse. I know someone (a travel agent !!) who wanted to fly from Glasgow to Orkney and used airport codes GLA to ORK to make her booking. It should have been GLA to KOI. She ended up in Cork !!

At least you are going to the right island, if not the right airport, and hopefully any inconvenience will be worth it when you finally reach your destination.

Lol thanks.

I work in the airport industry, so I know all the codes for all international airports. Shame I don't know where they are :duh
Did you get a good fare ?

I deal with 27 airlines, not one of them fly's to Ireland. So full price for me.
You may already be aware, but there is now a direct coach service from Knock Airport to Galway City. It passes through Claregalway (which I think may be convenient for Knockdoe, but don't take my word for it as there may be more than one Knockdoe !!) and although there is no scheduled stop there, it will stop on request:
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1266419677-64.pdf

Thank you. I had looked at that just a few minutes before. Just have to wait and see if my grandparents will pick me up from Knock.

To be honest I don't mind if I have to get the bus into Galway. I'll just stare out of the window and before I know it I will be there. Either way I'm not doing 15 hours on a coach and ferry that I would be if I wasn't flying in.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.