Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Helicopter
13 Posts
yes, still working, but no longer operated by Air Malta - three implications
1. newer helicopters (old ones didn't fulfill EU regs :yikes
2. at moment, cannot check luggage right through
3. AirMalta ran it at a loss - now fares gone up - for people without Maltese residency, now LM50 return = £80, before was about LM28 return.
Thanks to you both, I had a look on the site you put up ingliza the helicopter is only a small one as from the old ones and the fares they are far to dear, saying that how can they run it for half price in the winter and then charge all that much in the summer can't see that running for long and at that price, it will have to be the ferry for me this time.

Thanks
Dave
are you sure its half price in the winter ? where did you see that ? - if you mean the "special offer" that flashes, thats only for weekend return trips - ie aimed at Maltese coming to Gozo for the weekend.

Its smaller than the old helicopter - I think 10 versus 20 passenger capacity - one of my friends is a security guard at the heliport, and he says there are normally 2-4 passengers - my guess is it will be replaced by a light aircraft in a year or so - it only started six months ago, but you are right, too expensive
Hi Mark, am I right in thinking that they were talking about putting a landing strip on Gozo to enable light aircraft to land ?, I am sure that I read this somewhere not so long ago.

Regards
Sliema2
officially there will be no runway as the helicopter will keep running. Realistically, the helicopter will be stopped as its losing money, and then a small runway would be built - maybe in a year or two. There is plenty of space to do it around the heliport
Hello Mark, what happened to the runway that the Americans built in the last war, 1939-45 so they could invade Sicily. If it is gone is the runways base still not there so as to just put a new top layer of tarmac and of you go. 8)
Dave
excellent question! thats basically where the heliport is - no sign of the original airport (which was in fact never used in the invasion of Sicily in the end) - probably "recycled" like most things in Gozo !
Hello everyone. I happen to be Airgozo's webmaster and is was to my joy that you guys were mentioning it. Its true that we at helisureste might have made wrong steps and the prices might not be to liking but we ensure everyone that all possible is being done to setup a service to everyones liking. One must keep in mind that the costs to operate a Helicopter service is quite high and prices can not be set to meet the previous companies fare structure. Nonetheless a return helicopter flight for locals is LM26 return which breaks down to LM13 each way. Compared to the LM0.50 ferry + LM10 taxi to MIA I think its good value considering all is done with in 15 minutes. Our present helicopter is not as small as one might think, its a 13 seater it takes it fair share of luggage and its manufactured MAY 2005 . I have worked with the previous operator MI-8 and believe me this is a step forward. We currently made holiday packages (car rental+Hotel stays) which are great value (2nights hotel+2 days car rental + return heli transfer at LM45 all inclusive). Your comments are apreciated.

P.S Through check-in will be available by the beginning of January 06.
Hi Airgozo, and welcome.

I guess the main issue is whether a small fixed wing aircraft would have been cheaper to operate than a helicopter, but that was a political decision. I agree on the cost comparison for locals, unless of course its more than one person travelling - I flew to the UK from Gozo last week - I was going to use the helicopter when I return to Malta in a few weeks time, but as I return at 11pm, and the next helicopter isn't until around 5am, it was quicker to go by ferry.
Airgozo,

Have you any plans to provide a service linking Gozo to other places in Malta? i.e Sliema/Valetta
Hi again. A fixed wing aircraft still involves alot of expenses and if it does one day arrive it will not be much cheaper then what is currently available. I was discussing with people who made a thourough study and was amazed and in a certain way dissapointed that a high cost will still be involved. As for the other question, Airgozo will be flying to the cruise liner terminal in Valletta come the beginning of 2006.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.