America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
We ran out of time to do it but I know that the ones we looked at you're definitely shut in Michelle as they were air conditioned so no worries of falling out.
Thanks for the reply, i have always wanted to go in an helicopter, as long as they dont have glass floors my hubby will be ok, he hates seeing the floor on anything. He dont like heights.
Derwentrocker,

we did a helicopter flight three years ago on our first trip to NYC. Brilliant time especially as we got to sit in the front seats next to the pilot. make sure to have video camera etc handy.

you may not want to show hubby the next bit

at the end of the flight helicopter landed ok, rear seat passengers got out but they could not get our door open!(this was not long after a copter fell into teh hudson)

The pilot had to shut the copter down,get out and we ended up clambering across the controls and the pilots seat,

did not spoil it one bit though, gave us a good laugh

Bill
Thanks for all replies, i am lookiing forward to it, a life time experience, thanks.

Michelle x
Did it in Dec using Liberty Helicopters. Was amazing, no you wont fall out, there are doors on it which lock! However, not sure I would use Liberty again as their customer service wasnt brilliant. NY Helicopter tours seemed far better and had helicopters going up more often. You dont actually fly over NY by the way, but fly past Stat Liberty, then up the river, turn around and come back.
Thanks a lot gary, my husband has now agreed to do the tour, i am very excited now, only 7 more sleeps :wave:
Michelle, could you let me know how you booked the helicopter and how much it was? We are off to NY in two weeks time and that is something I would love to do (not sure about my hubby ;) )
Hi, we booked it via the virgin rep at the planet hollywood restaurant, but there are tourist information everywhere and you can also book direct from your hotel.

I cannot exactly remember how much the trip was, roughly about £80 sterling each. You do have a safety briefing before departure with Liberty who i thought were very good. Mobile phones, money etc all has to be placed in a locker, watches etc. You go through a scanner. There are toilets, and young kids can go as well. Listen to the local weather reports to choose your day, and dont leave it till the end of your trip as if the weather is bad, they don't fly, eg, wind. We flew right near to the statue of liberty, and empire state building etc, we took the 12 mins tour, but wished we had gone on the 15 mins or 20 mins. They do allow cameras and video equipment. You will have your picture taken by the side of the helicopter, and you can purchase the dvd on the actual route, which was good.
It is perfectly safe, enjoy, cannot wait now to do the grand canyon :wave:

Michelle x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.