Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
By making a deposit she has entered into a "verbal contract" - signing and returning the documentation, is, in my opinion, secondary.

You do need to read the Terms & Conditions - what do they say?

Jumping up and down and threatening to go to the press will not help if the T&Cs say you lose your deposit.

May I suggest that you contact Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor who has helped many members of HT

Ros has offered our members free impartial legal advice.

Please note that Ros does not read or post on this board any contact to her must be made via :- Tel :- 01922 621114

You have far more chance of getting a successful outcome by speaking to a professional.

Please let us know the outcome. All feedback helps HT help others.

fwh
Hi usually when you book a cheap fare you should be told at the start that it is non refundable or transferable.

However you should still get the airport tax back.

I don't think you will get your refund as its not the Airline's fault that she cannot go.

No harm in trying though,hope you are successfully.
Hi there

Is it not possible to ask the new employers if they would honour the already planned and booked holiday. I have found that new employers are usually helpful on this if you have already booked something. Maybe she could offer to take it unpaid?

Bizzilady
Thats what I was about to sugggest Bizzilady.

If its not till August and she is starting the job in the near future, well surely a lot of people would be in this position, having summer holidays booked. Most companies I have joined at this time of the year would expect people to have a holiday booked.

I really feel that any reasonable company would take the view that it is not their responsibility that you can no longer travel.

If it was illness or bereavement then your insurance would cover it, but this isint the case here.

To threaten to go to the press over this in my opinion is a bit unfair. The company hasnt done anything wrong in expecting you to honour your committment to them. People get very het up when companies treat them badly, well it works both ways in my opinion.

The fact that you havent signed the contract may legally give you a get out and Im sure Ros will give you the best advice on the way forward.
I agree, I have never had a problem with companies honouring booked holidays. If I had a holiday booked and they insisted I work then I would ask them to reimburse me for costs, however I have always informed employers if I have had any holidays already booked after I have been offered the position.

I would suggest speaking to the employer.
Companies normally honour pre-booked holidays when you start with them. I changed jobs last July and had 3 holidays booked. :oops: I asked if they would honour them before I accepted the position and they agreed no problem.

luci :wave
If your ticket is with Qatar Airways and as you say none refundable /none transferable they will not give you a refund.
I don't want to turn this into a debate, however, whilst a prospective employer may be willing to agree to honour a pre booked holiday it is really your problem and not theirs.

There can be many reasons why they are unable to do so. It is s goodwill thing on their part and not a right that you have.

Rather than confuse the issue I would suggest waiting until Ros has given her advice.

fwh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.