Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Welcome to the board - You're coming through loud and clear :)
thats great ellibee,well we are wanting to book to go Goa in jan but we have never been before so havnt got a clue which resort to go to,we always tend to go for the lively resorts when we go away.it would help us if you could tell me which resort is lively and any good hotels you would recommend there will be myself,hubby and daughter who will be 15,we was looking to go and celabrate my hubbys 65th birthday.i would wecome all you views on best resort,hotel.ect.ta mrstrelly. :sun2
Mrs T try candolim it`s pretty central nice hotels good food etc we use Highland Beach Hotel its clean in walking distance of everything but im sure you`l like it anywhere you go :tup
Baga or Calangute will be more lively than Candolim.
Hello Mrs T - just to help us to help you, where have been your previous holidays and what do you look for in a holiday ? this should then give you more answers about resorts and hotels to look at.
Spike.
Hello spike.we have been going to bulgaria for the past 5 yrs and then we take a winter break to costa del sol to see our son.with having our daughter with us she likes to go to beach everyday and at nite have a meal and find a bar with a bit going on ie music or karokie.we have many of friends who go to goa and said we would enjoy it,my hubby is a outdoor man who loves fishing and knows everything about wildlife and birds you wish to know.also i would like to mention that i was toying with the idea of purchasing premiere seats on plane as hubby has had 2 knee replacements although they have bumped the price up by a further £750,do you recommend it.Also we are finding it hard to get a family room as you can imagine daughter of 15 needs a bit of privacey,if i went for two rooms do you think she will be safe enough,well im sorry for going on a bit but i would be more than grateful for your advise.mrs T. :wave:
The Highland Beach in Candolim do family rooms, ive got a 15 year old daughter and she needs her own to.
Hi mrs trelly, nice to meet you!!!! :welcome :welcome :bling
BOB
Mrs Trelly

2 weeks in January for 3 staying at the magnum in Candolim is 1600 with TC

Paul
hi paul,i have been qouted 2.988 that does include prem seats and 3,458 for the highlander hotel with jewel in the crown.my head is done in i really wanted to get it booked soon but i really dont know if try another tour op. :cry mrs T :think
Hi again Mrs T. Well 1st you will find Goa a massive difference to Bulgaria and the Costas, but quite a few people are saying Goa is becoming the 'new Costa' (can't compare the 2 myself).
The main attraction in my opinion are the people - I have never met such a friendlier country, the place is far from clean but you can see beyond that once you understand there way of life.
Nightlife - Kareoke seems to be popping up in various places now,so something there to keep your daughter happy with, I'll go with the flow but can't stand it anywhere I holiday. Quiz nights can also be found, along with local singers and musicians (some good - some that need putting in the stocks, but I give them credit for giving it a go). In general, nightlife seems to be laid back - find a bar, chill out and drink with a bit of chat - we tend to head for a beach shack late on to get the sea breeze.
The beach - Not the cleanest you will see and the sea is not blue as shown in brochures (south and further North does improve slightly) pick a shack that looks good to you and try it for a day (move to another if you don't like it) - you will get lots of reccomendations for shacks to use, so will leave it up to you..
Restaurants - everywhere ! read this site for tips (the list will be massive)
Fishing - if your hubby is into fresh or sea, then no problem. Trips to be found everywhere with all tackle included.
Wildlife - again, loads of trips to be found for bird watching etc..
Premiere seats - never used them, but as your hubby as knee problems will be to your advantage, 10 hours is a long flight. (extortionate rip-off prices they charge !)
Family rooms - Highland as stated do them and Magnum also. If you do book 2 rooms your daughter will be safe, I would though ask for 2 rooms next to each other to put you at ease (if you get there and they are not don't be afraid to request at your reception - all hotels will sort you out with no probs and no grumbles.
Taxis/shops/beach sellers - all wanting business, but never give them the impression it's your 1st time in Goa.
Well the best advice of all is to have a look through all the threads on here - you will get some great tips,so note them down. By the time January comes round the season will be well under way with many off here coming back with reports, so keep looking in (no doubt I will pick up some more new info - you think after 10 years you know it all !)
I will have a look through last years bits n bobs I brought back about trips for you and let you know about costs etc..
Have fun,
spike.
Mrs Trelly
I personally would not pay 1000 each for 2 weeks in Goa. We have been going for many years and usually pay around 500 or so. If you go on the Thomascook website and put your dates in the holidays prices are displayed but look expensive, once you select your choice the discount comes off. Like I said 2 weeks at the magnum is 600 each and they do the highland beach for about 80 more. You could also try http://www.travelsupermarket.com and look at all options I find them quite good.
Premium is about 200 more each but I wouldnt bother TC have increased their seat pitch from 30 to 33 inches. £200 will go a long way in Goa. Let me know if I can help in any way.
hi, we are new to goa as well, concerning a room for your daughter we have booked the santiago hotel in baga, it has a twin or double bedroom also a single in the lounge it is allinclusive but i booked thomas cook with 33in seating, i got different quotes from a few travel agents and bartered and got a good deal at the end. the allinclusive came in cheaper than b&b.
All inclusive - Goa is one place that this is not needed.
First choice also offer a 33 leg pitch in their regular seats, Monarch are only 29 ! ! !
If you can get all inclusive cheaper than B & B then why not? We have friends who stay at the Santiago every year because they like it - the hotel, location etc but only every eat breakfast there and drinks before they go out in the evening. There are lots of good restaurants nearby - East meets West top end, Bernards on CSM road and Kim Fa and lots more.
On the corner of CSM road (the one to the beach if you are at Santiago) is nice little bar which is very busy at all times of day, especially after dinner. (Pintos I think)
At the bottom of CSM road at the beach is Big Banana and Boscos shack which are 2 of the most popular shacks on that stretch of beach although Boscos has to be the most expensive on the beach.
Try Good Luck shack at the bottom of Titos road - a little further towards Baga.
For people new to Goa you cannot go wrong by looking at the following site

http://www.daytrippergoa.com

It is a British run company who do excursions all over Goa and beyond. I have nothing commercially to do with them but lots of other people on this site recommend them. They do fishing and bird watching trips as well as other trips. Have a look at the site. We use them every year.

Spike - good description of Goa. I live part of the year on Costa del Sol and can tell you it is nothing like Goa. We have pavements at the side of the road and they collect the rubbish every evening - the bus drivers are sober and taxis charge you the meter price. :)
Hi Narial, ok your right about booking AL if it works out cheaper than B&B - but my main point I should have got across is aimed at 'newbies', and when they see the bargain prices in travel agents and book it, they tend to stay in the complex rather than try the many bars and restaurants on offer. Ganesh shack that we use is near to Whispering Palms, and he gets quite a few calling in to sample the beach, and have a drink there, very few eat as they have meals pre-paid for them, but speaking to a few people over the years, always come out with comment ''I wish we ain't booked all-inclusive''.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.