Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Help Needed !
6 Posts
Keep in mind hundreds of thousands of UK holidaymakers go to the DR each year. Only a small proportion fall ill.

I often wonder how many bouts of sickness and stomach problems are actually down to excessive consumption rather than hygiene related. Having been on a couple of AI holidays (typical of the DR) I'm amazed how people gorge on the buffets, drink copious amounts of beers and spirits from 10am, lay in the hot sun, jump around in the pool - then are surprised that they have an upset stomach and feeling sick!

It sounds like you had a very taste experience last time - but as you have already booked, I'll personally look forward to your upcoming holiday and chill and enjoy the break.

If it was really bad then I'm sure Thomson wouldn't send you there.
My friend went to Dominican Republic recently and stayed at the Bahia Principe. I booked it for her via the internet. Anyway a couple of days beforehand she e-mailed me panicking saying she had been told people were dropping like flies there and she was really worried. I told her to calm down and be sensible, wash her hands regularly and she should be fine.

And she was :D .

I am not surprised the travel agent will not allow you to cancel. If you are really worried and do not want to go maybe you could suggest to the travel agent that you transfer to another destination, although no doubt this will incur further charge to you.

Good luck however it goes.
Take all the necessary jabs and medication . Eat drink and be merry in moderation and you will be just fine. We married there 8 years ago and the number of people moaning about illness amazed me. When we asked, none had bothered to go to doctors for jabs!!!.
hi

Went to Domincan a couple of years ago. my husband suffered from a stomach problem, one of the locals told us it was due to the fact they cook in coconut oil and it does not mix well with malaria tablets. They advised us to put sliced lime in boiling water, after 24 hrs Ian was fine.
If you go onto the beach the pedlers will ask you to buy their carvings if there is something you like buy it, as when you go into the shopping malls they are three times the price for the same thing.

Have a good hoilday Jenxxx :tup
Before I begin I am a travel agent (been critised in the past for not stating this). The dominican republic and areas like it are known for stomach bugs. I always recommend that you stay in a 4* as the dominican is primative in comparison with the u.k and the food quality is better in a 4*. Sometimes the reason for the bug can be the standard of the food but most of the time it's that travellers have not used their common sense. Don't drink tap water, avoid ice in your drinks, chicken and fish dishes are a more risky option if you suspect meat is underdone.
Don't try local Spicy dishes if you know you have a sensitive palet. You would be suprised how many people don't do these things and then come home telling everyone who will listen what a terrible place the domincan is.
I'm sure you will have a fab time. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.