Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Another old relic in Malta then :rofl

Where are you staying resort wise Brian?

what i am asking is anything/sites of historical/archaeological/architectural interest for me to visit

:think Mmmmmm maybe one or two :D

This previous might help you a bit -
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148804&p=1497276#p1497276

Some pictures

http://travel.webshots.com/album/580710608kOhoNV?vhost=travel

http://travel.webshots.com/album/580667872ExSoDA?vhost=travel

Anything you want to know just ask.
thanks Graham will take a look later.. just trying to organise a family holiday for may to Zakynthos ;)
You'll be there a couple of months before us Wizz, but hubby bought the AA book on Malta & Gozo last week, and is already enjoying researching.
Hi Brian

Qawra is located next to Bugibba close to St Paul's Bay, you are very close to the bus terminal in Qawra which makes it easy to get out and around the island.

To be honest Qawra is not everybody's cup of tea, however we have stayed in Qawra many times and enjoyed it :tup

Just a few quick suggestions for a day out -

Valletta, so many things to visit and see there, Mdina combined with the Crafts Village and Museum of Flight, Gozo, a Festa, Tarxien Temples combined with a must visit to see the Hypogeum, book it in advance as visitor numbers are limited each day.
thanks Graham will print this lot off later :tup :cheers
If you are in any way into art, visit the Co-Cathedral in Valletta, Caravaggio's "Beheading of John the Baptist" is truly amazing, never mind all the other stuff. I agree with Graham, Tarxien is a must see, and I like the church at Mosta as well.
hi when we went we bought a weekly bus ticket you can use it all day long on and off the bus as many times as you want we went round the island and enjoyed it . Mosta Dome is interesting where the unexploded bomb is : We also jumped on the ferry to Gozo that was a good day out . it's over 7 years sinceMalta we were there . We have been twice both times we were celebrating our wedding anniverary in Novemeber . we stayed in Bugibba . have great time when you go they do say Malta is a place you love or hate . We enjoyed it and want to go back sometime but in the summer time .
Malta/gozo seems to be the place this year for us old HT relics.. Im off there too in July but staying on Gozo. it's going to be a different sort of holiday for us as we dont intend to spend the whole 9 days on a sunbed . As well as the diving we intend to hire a car and get out a bit seeing some of the historical stuff . Did consider doing an overnight stay around valletta at the start but I remember some of Grahams pictures of day trips he took and decided it was worthy of a seperate trip.
Don't be put off Valletta if you arrive at the city gate as there is a lot of building work going on there at the moment, the old gate has been demolished and building work is going on just inside the walls, a new structure that IMO has no reason to be built in such a modern style that is totally not in keeping with the existing and beautiful architecture of this lovely old walled city :rage
I don't know if anybody reads this but it is a fascinating insight in to Malta / Gozo http://www.maltainsideout.com/ well if you you like Malta & Gozo I suppose it is :D
Get yersen up to Cirkewwa, get on a ferry and head across to Mgarr in Gozo. From there, you can hire a car or even a mini bus and explore.
Gozo is a tiny island but Victoria is a must. I think somewhere I did a long post about what is available to see on Gozo..
Hi Wizard

Have a look at my trip review here - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=149359 - plenty to see and do on Malta!
Yes you did val.. I had a good read through it and corinne's trip report too. I will need to read through again once I get my head into gear with planning nearer the time but Both excellent and brilliant reads.. Top Marks ladies . Assuming of course corinne is female .. I know you are Val :D
Hi Wizard

We're off back to Malta from our home in Cyprus again near the end of February to spend a few days with my parents whilst they're in Qawra for 4 weeks. They go around the beginning of Feb each year and we try to get their near the end of their holiday.

We're staying at the Soreda Hotel. It will be my 2nd time there but my other half's first as last year I went alone and surprised my parents as we'd told them we weren't going last Feb. But, my parents aren't getting any younger so I decided to hop the flight and booked into the same hotel as them on their 3rd week.

The weather wasn't as good in Feb 2011 as it had been previously. In Feb 2010 we got a fantastic week and me and hubby took the opportunity of taking the day trip to Gozo. We had a really good day out and it was extremely cheap at 10EUR per person + the cost of the return ferry crossing which was around 4.50EUR.

We were collected by minibus from the hotel, taken to the ferry port then met at the other end in Gozo by more minibuses and transported around the island for the whole day. Then we were returned to Gozo ferry and met again back in Malta for the transport back to our hotel. All in all, we were out from 8.30am until around 5.30pm.

I just managed to find my photos and have put them on Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cypruspictures/sets/72157628747250775/

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
You're right Lyn Malta must be the in thing for us old HT relics as we're going in two weeks so guess it won't be very warm then. We're going to Bugibba and know that area well as we've been over 20 times. I'd recommend Gozo for the day as it's very interesting also see the bomb in Mosta church. I didn't realise they'd demolished the old gate that must spoil the entrance to the main shopping area. We always book trips with Mary who has a gift shop in Qawra and is very friendly and helpful.
We always book trips with Mary who has a gift shop in Qawra and is very friendly and helpful

I can vouch for that, we have been friends with Mary for many many years, going back to when she and her father had their small outlet further up Tourist St.

I didn't realise they'd demolished the old gate that must spoil the entrance to the main shopping area

All part of the modeerisation there and at the hole in the grond where the opera house was just as you entered through city gate.
There will be a new gate :think thing built, did you know that the busses also no longer go to the Triton Fountain at the city gate as the bus terminus has moved to where the Sunday Market was further down?
Thanks Graham I didn't know the bus terminal had moved don't they have a Sunday market there now as there was a massive one. We've also been friends with Mary for years in fact we haven't been for a few years but my son and daughter-in-law go every February and Mary always asks how we are. I think she has a lot of English friends.
I don't know where the market is now :que the changes only took place in June? when Arriva took over the busses which has so far been a complete disaster.

We were there just before the changes happened so haven't seen it yet, we will be there later this year so hopefully Arriva will have got their act together by then :D

I think she has a lot of English friends

And Scottish :rofl
When I was there last February (2011) we were told every week the market in Valletta wasn't there any longer and the only one seemed to be the big one in Marsaxlokk.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.