Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
The weather continues to be good....had sunshine and warm temperatures today.
On the spur of the moment, we caught a bus to Altea this morning and we have just got back...3 pm Spanish time.

We made a point of walking up to the church, which is called the virgin del Consuelo and I must say that it has got to be one of the most beautiful church's that I have been inside...and I've been in a few.!
Apart from the statues inside, the gold domed ceiling itself is awesome and outside, the blue distinctive domed "mosaic" roof stands proud on the skyline.

From the viewing point just outside the church, you can see Benidorm's skyscrapers in the distance...around the church, the streets are whitewashed, cobble stone narrow streets which are typical of Spain....and all this is just a one euro bus ride away and couldn't be further away from the "image" of Benidorm.
The mountains seem so near that it makes you feel like you could reach out and touch them :lol:
If you get the chance to go to Altea, IMO, don't miss the chance of viewing this amazingly beautiful church.....I took quite a bit of film coverage and I think you will agree with me when I edit it for the forum.

Had a coffee when we first arrived around 10 am in a bar on Altea's sea front...and it was sooo peaceful, it really was unbelievable, the vast expanse of the mediterraneo was just like a mill pond and there wasn't a cloud in the blue sky.

Now, it's time for siesta

Sanji :wave
Hi Sanji. Glad to hear you have recovered from your fall. You said you believe the Hotel is in need refurbishment......could you remind us, well me at least, where you are staying please :?:
I'll answer that one on behalf of Sanji, I'm sure that she won't mind me telling you (as long as you promise not to pay her a surprise visit :lol:) that she is staying at the Dalmatas Hotel where she is very well known. :lol:

Sue :)
Thanks Sue.....No, I won't be visiting.....well not just yet anyway. My father is talking about booking something for late February, early March......but to be honest I just don't think he is going be well enough......well not to fly....but I'm thinking we maybe we could coach it :hmmm

Anyway, thanks for that Sue....I was just being curious thats all. When she mentioned it was in need of refurbishment. I can't even place where that Hotel is now.....although I have heard of it.
If you walk down from the Regente towards the beach keeping on the left hand side, it's near the bottom by the triangle and the White horse, just before you get to Burger King.
Ah yes....thanks Cazz.....I know where I am now...and yes, I know the Hotel now. Many thanks.
Here's wishing you all a Happy New Year :pele

Today has been a lazy day, with a short stroll on Benidorms Levante promenade, stopping in various bars for a drink.

The weather.? well what can I say that won't sound as though I'm "rubbing it in" ....it has been better than I ever imagined, with temperatures up in the seventies....I have been sunbathing once again on New Years Eve....and I couldn't think of a better place to be. :lol:

For all those people who think Benidorm is like Blackpool and passed its sell by date, then all I can say is...try walking on the promenade this morning and it was shoulder to shoulder, you have to be here to believe it and whilst Benidorm may not be everyone's cup of tea....there certainly are thousands upon thousands of people from all nations who have decided to spend Christmas and see in the New Year here...and we all can't be wrong, can we.?...but the weather has been a big bonus without doubt.!

Talking of bars....I noticed that there are now two bars called Pinocchio, one is the Dutch bar next to the Beach Rock bar that has always been there as long as I can remember...and another has opened up nearer the old town, both on Levante beach and both spelt exactly the same way, we checked and double checked, which we commented about being quite naughty if they have no connection...and I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like the new Pinocchio has any connection with the one next to the Beach rock bar. :hmmm
Short of going in and asking them, then I dunno :shrug

Anyway, it's now time for siesta, because it's gonna be a long night.
Have a lovely evening everyone and the next time we speak it will be 2007.
Besos

Sanji
sounds like you are having a great time sanji wish i was there were booking hotel orange for the 23rd december next year have got to be there for christmas always say we will but never done it yet but next year we will going to see what knid of deal we can get happy new year
Glad you're having a great holiday Sanji.

Happy New Year to you and David and all forum members :glynis

Pleased you're having such great weather because here in the North West at the moment it is blowing a gale. I couldn't agree more with your post on Altea, it really is a beautiful place although I've never been inside the church.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Michelle :wave
Anyway, it's now time for siesta, because it's gonna be a long night.

I got to bed at 2.30 am and yesterday (New Years day) everyone was feeling a little fragile around town. :lol:

Most of the shops (except the Asian) were closed and it was a restricted bus service, so we just walked to the "point" and back to clear David's head ...well what do you expect after a "free bar" all night until 3 am :roll: and he just "mooched" around during the rest of the day, not really "with us".... then after the evening meal we walked up to the Hotel Regente, to say goodbye to Victor the resident DJ.

Might go to Albir tomorrow, to do a bit of filming and for a change of scenery....not promising though, we just take each day as it comes.

Happy New Year. :pele

Sanji x
Hi Sanji.
Haven't spotted you yet!! I keep saying I will come to your hotel, but never get round to it. Happy New Year to you and David, and to all members and moderators.

Lizzie.
Thanks Lizzie
We have just got back from Albir and have had a lovely walk on the promenade...and nearly ended up back in Altea, it was like being in the middle of June...I've never known weather like it for this time of the year, but I certainly ain't complaining.

Had a good nosey around an hotel, that was actually closed to the public until the 20th Jan, (when it re-opens)....and whilst I couldn't get in the bedrooms, dinningroom or the roof pool...the rest of what I saw was very impressive.

You could still buy a drink and sit on the terrace, they have two people in the hotel, one is a barman and the other a girl/woman answering the phone for reservations...everywhere else is locked up.

We had 2 coffees on the terrace facing the mediterraneo, the coffee was 3 euros for both which I thought was very good for a 4 star hotel with that location and service.....and to be honest, it was a right little suntrap and we were stripping off the jumpers and I could have stayed there all day.

The hotel is the 4 star hotel Kaktus Albir which has been open for 4 years....there's not a lot around it, but it is bang on the promenade with views of Altea and Calpe and looks a great "chill out" place....although for me personally, one week would be enough.....anyway, I did a bit of filming, so hopefully you'll get the idea when I get back home.....which is getting ever nearer. Boooooooooooo

Bye for now.

Sanji
One more day left :cry:
Sorry folks, but we didn't get out to Polop this trip, my friend is confined to bed with a chest infection although she did drive down to Benidorm to spend Christmas Day Night with us before the "cold" she had, got worse...

Last night, one strange woman stopped me in the street :lol:
Lizzie Dripping and her family finally found us....and it was a sheer stroke of luck.

Spent last night with them and most of this morning. :tup

A lovely family...and we had a great laugh :lol:

Sanji x
  • Edited by Sanji 2007-01-04 19:30:59
Sanji.....before you come home and if you find a few moments spare tomorrow, would it be possible for you to check out if there is any building work being carried out around the Hotel Castilla and Hotel Rio Park please? I'd be much obliged.

Many Thanks.
The works mentioned in THIS thread are in that vicinity.

David :wave
Just got back from the Three Kings Parade ....and it was a great show
Here are some statistics
Over 1000 people took place. 4,000 Kilo's of sweets thrown out amongst the crowd and Benidorm council gave 75,000 Euros towards the cost. :lol:

IMO:The firework display didn't seem to last as long as last year :cry: and once again I nearly missed the actual Three kings on video, when a guy decided to stand in front of the camcorder :roll:
The geese stole the show by insisting on wanting to go the opposite way to everyone else.

A great night, a great atmosphere....wouldn't have missed it for the world although my feet are absolutely killing me from standing around for hours...plus we have already walked up to the old town and back once today..... and repeated it again at 6 pm.

Early start in the morning back to the UK. :cry: This has been a fab holiday and we have enjoyed every minute of it.

Besos x
SanJi
I nearly missed the actual Three kings on video, when a guy decided to stand in front of the camcorder

I don't need to ask if you told him to shift it :lol:

Glad you've had a good time, fancy bumping in to Lizzie and her family, it sounds as though you all enjoyed each others company, I wish I'd have been there too. :cry:

Sue :)
Hola, Sanji,
I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday. Only sorry I did not manage to bump into you as Lizzie Dripping did. I hope your bumps and bruises from the ice rink have cleared up.
Thanks again for all your posts. I am sure if we had met you could have suggested places we have not yet seen in Benidorm although we have visited most years for over 20 years.
Welcome back to wet windy Britain. Bet you cannot wait until your next visit to Benidorm
Helen
Hi Sue
I don't need to ask if you told him to shift it

As if I would :lol: ...no I just put my hand on his shoulder and pushed him down. :rofl

Glad you've had a good time, fancy bumping in to Lizzie and her family, it sounds as though you all enjoyed each others company, I wish I'd have been there too.

Yes, we did have a good time and I wish you had been there too Sue.
It's really nice to put a face behind the names and meet some lovely people...thanks to HT.

Helen
Thanks for asking about my head, believe it or not, it is still sore to touch especially when I wash my hair...I won't be ice skating again if the rink is there next xmas, ....but considering the popularity of the venture, then I feel pretty certain that it will be repeated.
My advice is....just make sure that you all have adequate holiday insurance cover because there were no medical services in situ and if things go wrong, then you can at least fall back on your Insurance policy...and I was a typical example of how things could have gone wrong. :oops:
Welcome back to wet windy Britain.

Yep, it was raining when we landed at East Midlands :roll: and the journey home up the M1 wasn't very nice with poor visibility and spray on the motorway.....I was glad when I turned the key in my front door.
Alicante airport was like a cattle market this morning and My Travel couldn't organise a pee up in a brewery, but that's another story :wink:
Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.