Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
I thought it was becoming more popular as well. Can you do the holiday DIY?
We tend to go through tour operators because, in theory, if you have a problem there is someone from the company around to help you. We did a DIY holiday once to Goa and my other half spent the two weeks fretting that something would go wrong.

It is a pity F.C. have pulled out, but I don't think that all the other U.K. tour operators will pull out also. If they do, that would be a real pity for the tourism in Kerala.

I will trawl the net later to see who else goes there.
Hi Sydney

Ive been going to Goa for many years too, and decided it was time for a change. Ive booked with Thomas Cook, got 2 weeks at the Uday Samudra in february for 2, for 1200
Nanette, that's very good for two people.

I will speak to my other half to see if he would consider going after Christmas rather than before.

Sheila.
There are now some bargaims to be had for Kerala, but be quick as due to some holiday co's going bust people willl be looking for alternatives. TC have today put up their prices (is this a coincidence? or are they cashing in on a disaster).
I asked FC why they were no longer going to Kerala and the girl told me that it was due to a health issue. Looking on another forum, I saw that a new illness had broken out last year due to mosquito bites , ( but not malaria).
I have just booked at Jeevans resort in Kovalam for £440.00 per person with My Travel at the end of November and was quoted upward of £800.00 pp for hotels I enquired about in Goa. We had two visits there last season (Baga and Candolim) and only paid £600-£700. With money saved by choosing Kerala, we will go to another resort (Varkala) along the coast for 5 or 6 days for a change of scene. We stayed in the Jasmine Palace in Kovalam a few years ago and it was a nice change from Goa.
Obviously if you are going to either state this year, take plenty of mossy repellent.
:wave:
Hi Moleskent

Itll be our 1st time to Kerala (Kovolam) in Feb, and Varkala loks lovely. Do you know how far Varkala is, and any accomodation thre, as we may go for a fw days

Also, whats the illness that the mozzies spread last year?

Thanks

Nanette
just got back yday from a week in Kerala, staying with malabar house. Did it all diy and did their package of 4 of their properties and car transfer between. Got a spa for 2 and a day in the hills near Kovalam and a day with their elephant. check out the website. we flew with Qatar from LHR to Doha with a 3 hour stopover and change of planes. all very easy.

john
Hi, the name of the illness escapes me at the mo, it was mentioned on another forum and if I remember which one I will revisit it and get the name - it was a long name that I'd never heard of. Again it was not malaria, but take lots of insect repellants, although you can purchase these locally much cheaper when there. I alsways take a creepy crawly spray to go all over the room with upon arrival. Better safe than sorry.
Varkala is apparantly only about 50 kms from Kovalam, so we will either go by taxi or train and check out a nice hotel (The Signature)I have seen recommended on some reviews. I hope our booked hotel is ok though (Jeevans) in Kovalam, we saw it a few years ago and it appeared not too bad then. It has a pool and is right on the main beach.
I know it is down to the individual, but I thought the food in Kerala just shaded Goan cuisine. Also Goa has become too busy now, neon lights, Karaoke, lorries and taxi's everywhere. But I would still go there again because you can escape the busy resorts and find some lovely locations if you hire a scooter.
Moles,

Jeevans is small and basic, but very clean and friendly.
lovely to sit having breakfast and watch the fishermen haul their catch in.
Stayed there this Easter and had a great time.
Thanks for that. Can you tell me whether the rooms vary and if any have air-conditioning. If so is it worth upgrading to one of these rooms and is there any storage space, drawers or wardrobes etc.
Oh, and do they have balcony or sea views?
The rooms have large bathrooms, large terrace or balcony, the majority face the pool area. I think there are three latger rooms which have a sea view balcony, but I don't know if there are available if you book with TC or Panarama)(. the rooms have ceiling fans which worked fine. Our room had one large wardrobe an open hanging area, shelves alongside bedside cupboards with lockable drawers. the beds are comfortable. There are safety deposit facilities in a room above reception next to the hotel office.

As i said the rooms are clean but simple.
The illness is probably Chikungunya, it's quite common in parts of Asia and Africa. It's a mosquito borne virus similar to Dengue Fever, at the moment there is no vaccination against it. Liberal use of mosquito repellents is the answer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.