General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
My long haul holidays are almost always to different places and definitely not relaxing, they are an opportunity to meet new people,visit various places of interest, try different food, learn about the history and way of life of my host country. The short haul ones are supposed to be a week of pure relaxation but after a few hours of doing nothing restlessness sets in and out comes the guide book and we get in the car and start to tour the area to see the scenery etc. I've always envied people who can totally relax and just lie in the sun on holiday but it wouldn't suit me I would be going mad with boredom after a few hours.
I always take a few books on holiday but rarely get to read them even though I'm an avid reader at home.
Being away from this misrable fine you for the slightest mistake country for a couple of weeks and escape the daily routine. If I ever come into money I would find somewhere in the sun and not come back.
I take it you have just been fined for something. :(
I've enjoyed finding out how others live their lives. I've seen everything from slums to luxury. One recent picture which stays in my mind is seeing children emerge from the worst slums you could imagine looking immaculate in clean, spotless uniforms. I've seen some breathtaking sights- Christ the Redeemer, the Taj Mahal, Sagrada Familia for instance.I've enjoyed trying the food from different countries and also trying them out at home. I've had some interesting discussions with locals comparing our ways of lives.
My computer screensaver has all my photos from my travels and I sometimes go to do some work on it and find myself unwilling to touch the keyboard as I relive all the memories :D
just nice to get away from this country and all the doom and gloom and live like a millionair for a week in the sun before we come back to the real world :lol: :lol: :lol:
Judith

I never get a fine but known plenty who have for something silly. I think since all these fixed penalty's have come the country has become miserable. Roll on next august and its turkey for 2 weeks.

Being away for 2 weeks is wonderful and we enjoy every moment. Like to mix with the local people. As my wife says,I'll talk to anyone, rich or poor makes no difference to me.
for me, its definately about spending quality time as a family, I reckon us brits are one of the most overworked nations with the least bank holidays and the most working hours in a week, so family time is precious, and to have at least 2 weeks with our kids doing 'kiddy' things with them does us all a world of good !
can't think of a username,.

Turkey eh? Well I suggest you don't use the words Armenia and genocide in the same sentence or you'll really find out how much trouble a silly mistake can cause - and it won't be a fixed penalty.

In attempt to get this thread back to within a bus ride of the original subject.....

for me it's the reassurance that it is still possible for small restaurants and pubs to actually cook their own food and not just serve the airline style frozen muck that the corporate chain supplies.

visiting different towns and being able to notice a difference - they aren't just the same chains of shops in a different order

being able to use public transport by choice and not being considered weird!
For me it's also about quality family time and that's been especially true as my kids have become teenagers with busy lives away from us.

Eating together is a big part of our holiday whether it's lazy lunches by the pool or an evening meal out, we seem to bond over the dining table and really enjoy each others company.

I'm making the most of family holidays now as I guess we won't have many more before the kids are doing there own thing :cry:
For me it's something to look forward to! My teacher training means that for the other 49 weeks of the year I'm working non stop! It's nice to know that I have something to look forward to, and something tangeable for going to university and work!
The title of this thread is:

Holidays- what do you gain from them...

So why has everyone naturally assumed it was relating to holidays abroad!! :lol:

If we go abroad, it's really just to get a fortnight in warmer weather, although i do like travelling to new places, especially long walks too!

However, if i choose to spend time down the west coast of Scotland at our caravan, and i am lucky enough to get a week of nice weather, then it's as good (if not better) than any week abroad. Nice sunny weather, my own regular accom that i'm used to, english language TV and radio, and no dodgy food! :lol:
Lots!!
Firstly, it's the research and planning, which I simply adore. I have a huge list of places I want to see before I die (which after I've been on here is always being added to), which is why we've very rarely visited the same place twice. Luckily my husband is fairly easy going so I usually get to chose where we go.
Secondly, the holiday itself - well, I'm not one for lying around all day in the sun (not least because I'm too fair) and my hubby is a complete fidgit bum so we always see and do plenty on holiday. Sometimes we hire a car, other times we use local transport (or when we were being really posh in China we had our own car and driver dahlink! :D ) as we like to see local architecture and people. We always try to stay somewhere that's not too 'touristy' if we can. A big 'must' for us is trying local food and we will try anything once.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.