Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
GrEnada is in the Caribbean, GrAnada is in Spain. Which did you mean? I have only heard of this in Granada in Spain. For the Caribbean I would stay in a resort unless I knew the family I was staying with.
I've not been to Grenada so can't speak from personal experience for there but always use homestays (Casa Particulare) when visiting Cuba and would on that basis make the folowing general points:

1) This is a great way of getting under the skin of a country, meeting locals and getting a feeling for the local culture. You'll see and experience things that you'd never get a chance to if you stayed in a tourist resort/hotel. If that's what you want then go for it. The family will be able to provide you with all sorts of local info and tips that you'd never find out about in a hotel.

2) But don't expect the sort of services and facilities that you would get in a hotel - 'homestays' are usually done on the basis of someone letting out their spare room and it won't even be comparable to staying to staying in a small B&B in the UK. But you will get the personal touch. In Cuba very few of the rooms have en-suite bathrooms but you will usually get exclusive use of one - ie you won't be expected to share with the family. On two occassions I had shared use of the bathroom with the other foreign guest staying in the house.

3) Breakfast, if included will be simple eg in Cuba it will consist of bread, butter or honey or something similar, coffee, fruit and eggs in some shape or form and that's about it. Plenty of it but not a lot of variety.

4) Some will also offer an evening meal - expect simple, fresh, homecooked food and if you have particular dietary needs this will need to be spelled out right at the beginning. And don't expect the concept of vegetarianism to be readily understood. In Cuba, you generally won't be sat down with the family - they are most likely to have their main meal at mid-day.

5) You'll probably find that the family will be very willing to provide laundry services very cheaply - ask when you arrive. In Cuba, even if the immediate family don't want to do your washing and ironing for you then they will definitely know someone who will.

6) Remember that you are a visitor in someone's home and you can't go far wrong. I live in Scotland and usually take something Scottish as a gift to give when I first arrive - a half bottle of whisky (picked up at Duty Free on the way out) and/or shortbread has always been well received! But I also make sure that I take a number of small 'goodbye' gifts with me. Decent cosmetics are hard to come by in Cuba so I always take a few lipsticks, some mascaras and nail polish for the women of the household plus something suitable for children eg pencils, notebooks, felt pens, small games and puzzles etc. And the men of the household are more than happy with another half bottle!

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.