Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
They need to control this otherwise they will be letting the Germans in next *cough*
What a load of irritating gits this lot are, just read this report http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=269802
:( hi we too have been in the vicinity of the language students only last week on the white rocka in st pauls bay ( italians )there were at least twenty of them and the rubbish they left behind was disgusting :evil: :evil: the sooner they go the better :D
Let me guess 20 Italians and 3 bottles of Coke! :twisted:
just think - if they had more money, they would have left 20 bottles behind.......
Hi, Mark,

Yes ....but my point is that the students do little to the local economy other than become a burden to the local traders and tourists. You very rarely see them spending in restaurants or indeed bars!!!
I agree. However, its unfair to label all language students the same way. The problem in the past was teenagers from Italy, supposedly coming to Malta to learn English, when all they were really doing was getting away from parents for a cheap holiday and somewhere the parents knew was relatively safe. This year, its been compounded by a Spanish promotion to get their teenagers to learn English, and many are coming to Malta. Having collected money for Gozo SPCA on the ferries a few weeks back, you soon learn not to bother approaching the language students in their 20's

However, there are alot of mature students also coming, and they do come to learn English, and have plenty of money to spend. For example, its a big growth area for Japanese and Koreans - often ladies in their 50's and 60's - now, how do you attract the latter and not the former ???
Hello all, not wishing to be a know all, but did I not put this down in my last years report about this being one of the reasons me and the wife will not be going to Malta again. It is a pity as Malta is one of the places I feel at home with, as I put in my report they spend very little money it must only be the hotels that make any thing from them, so if they are driving the tourist money away it can only be the pubs/clubs and restaurants who will in the end feel the pinch.

Dave
want to avoid the students ? come to Gozo rather than Malta :D
Quote "how do you attract the latter and not the former ???"

Simple increase the price!

I agree you can't say they are all the same, however it does seem like it's becoming a problem and if Malta ignores it, well they may regret it when it's too late!

If they spoil my holiday in a few weeks time, then I will go else where in October and next summer
well the good news is that the former are here in the summer, so October will be fine (and one of the best months to come to Gozo and Malta anyway)
Hi there. we stayed at the Topaz hotel in June and had a wonderful time, good food, relaxing atmosphere etc. My sister went in July and the place was full of students, noisy and disruptive and she said the food was aimed at the students and could only be described as 'student foder'! She will never return to the Topaz.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.