Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Forgot to mention will be travelling on or around 4th April 2008.
The Landmark is a fab hotel- great location

I would recommend TravelBag and Travel Mood or Colours of Asia for help putting a package together for you.
They can help with hotels, flights and transfers as well for you. Even if you see a hotel you like that they do not have in their brochure they may still be able to book it for you- they have for us before.

For the first time I would say maybe 3-4 days in Bangkok- April can be very humid and hot so take things slowly

There are so many beach choices as well- we've stayed in Phuket, Cha Am and Krabi- they all have something very different to offer.
I would also recommend taking a look at adding a few days in Chiang Mai into the mix- up in the mountains and a lovely change to manic Bangkok
Hi CalHorn

Thanks for that will get on the case now. I know what you mean about humidity, as was in Singapore around the same time 2/3 years ago and I was shattered after it, thank god we then went to Penang afterwards to recover!!

Regards

Nick
Hi Nick me & my husband our looking to go 4 april 08 but it seems daunting just trying to book anything .we are looking for 3 nights in bankok then phuket and khao lak have you booked anything yet, and do you no anything about khao lak. we might bump in to you to have a drink for your b/day
Hi Gerty

Apologies for late in replying but just back off hols yesterday. Not got anything booked yet still studying options etc. Emailed a hotel direct in Phuket as want all inclusive as 10 of us going and fiancee and I are paying so want to get the majority of the cost sorted before we go!! My 50th is in January but cannot go until April at the earliest as one of my fiancees kids girlfriend is a teacher so we need to go in school holidays. Have you got anything booked yet, if so what and with who?

Regards

Nick
Nick
don't pay for AI. You will honestly be a lot cheaper paying as you go. If you do manage to get a hotel to quote you for AI- come back on here and let us know the costs for AI and non AI. We can advise then :D
Hi Nick
Iagree with Fiona about AI.
We always used to go AI until we started going to the far east for our holidays.
Firstly have never seen a hotel that does AI in Thailand.
Secondly I am sure it will be cheaper to pay as you go.
We paid between 10-20 pounds for our evening meal (4 of us). This was at least a 2 course, if not 3 and dinner drinks in good restaurants.
We allow ourselves a food/trip/transportation budget and this money is held separately to the rest of our spending money.
Please don't go all inclusive in Asia, unless you are somewhere like Pangkor Laut where there is literally no-where else to go. My reasons:

1) Food is often turgid, Europeanised rubbish, often reheated served in canteen surroundings. The joys of most places in Asia are being able to walk down the beach, find a local restaurants and eat fresh, tasty food with an ice cold beer and pay a couple of quid for it.

2) You are helping local people and the local community by spreading the wealth. Major chain hotels in Asia can return as much as 56 pence in every £ you spend to shareholders in the States. That's not helping the local people. If you spend the money locally, the money stays local, encourages small businesses, increases standards and living standards.

3) The joys of discovering your favourite little watering hole. We all have them! Come back and share them on this forum! Nothing like a cold Bintang / Singha / Tiger / San Miguel with your feet in the sand watching a wonderful sunset and chatting to your new friends...

In the Caribbean, a lot of antipathy and a dislike of tourists (I felt a lot of anger in Jamaica) have grown due to A/I resorts being so insular, and not allowing others to share the wealth of tourism. I don't want Asia to go down that path.
I have to say that you would really being missing out if you went AI- and it will cost more. I do understand your concerns re money- and if you haven't been to Thailand before then its natural to think of AI as an option. But I don't think you'll find an AI hotel anyway. Let us know what you find and we can help :D
We have been to Phuket many times and I have never come across or read about 'all inclusive' hotels in Phuket as it's usually room and buffet breakfast.
I'm sure any hotel will accommodate you and provide 3 meals a day but your not doing yourselves and your guests any favours by getting 'trapped' in your hotel.
You will find that most hotel restaurants are pretty empty (without atmosphere and very expensive) as most hotel guests will be down the street eating in lovely restaurants at a fraction of the price.
You might even find that your guests might want time to themselves and decide not to dine as a group... by which time you have already paid.
By the way... if you're paying, we would love to join you :D
Cheers Geri
Thankfully AI does not feature too much in Thailand, although I think I saw mention of the Cape Panwa hotel doing it though from what I've read its not the best AI. We usually go B&B and budget around £10 a day per person for lunch and evening meal in tourist restaurants including a few drinks.
Hi Fiona, Debs81, Travelling Sam, Gerib and Sunbear

Thank you all so much for your replies offering advice and guidance it is very much appreciated. After communicating directly with the hotel (Cape Panwa, Sunbear are you a physic?) and its UK representative ALL INCLUSIVE really does not exist in Thailand as we brits know it as when we holiday in Europe, Carribean etc, the best they offer is FULL BOARD which is three meals a day with ONE drink at luch and dinner!! Looks like our families are going to have to save a bit of money unless fiancee and I can get a decent price for our requirements! Does anybody know of reputable companies other than those CALHORN recommended? Gerib if I win the lottery of course you can join us and I will pay.

Looking forward to replies and further advise. Once again many many thanks.

Regards

Nick
Plenty of TO's to choose - Kuoni, Hayes & Jarvis, Premier Holidays, Virgin, Tradewinds and those are just a few you could check with. Having stayed at the Cape Panwa and sampled the food I certainly would not want to be AI there. Even in a remoter area like Panwa there were a few restaurants outside to choose from and you'll be suprised how even the most unprepossessing looking place turns out great food.

I do wonder though if Thailand loses out in terms of tourist visitors because it does not do AI like the Caribbean and other destinations.
Interesting questions Sunbear, but i'd say no. TAT (Tourist Authority of Thailand) is setting itself lower tourist targets as it's trying to go after upmarket clients who would look down on a/i.

Hotels could, and would do it if it was viable and profitable. There are 2 in Bali, and the food there is pants.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.