General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I have been to nine, but I can't see me visiting any of the others in the future.
I've not been to any of the places and do not intend to.
There are plenty of places in this country better than those!!!!!!!!
Qman wrote:

If you haven't been to any of these places how do you know there are plenty of places in the Uk that are better?

As someone who lives abroad I do like to visit the UK but I find on the whole service and hotels in the Far East mostly superior to the UK and in most of the places listed in the OP I find the food far more reasonably priced and tastier than that that I purchase on my visits to the UK.

I would like to know what better means to you. To me going on holiday is experiencing something different and new but being better what ever that means isn't something I understand.
I haven't been to any of them but that is because Southeast Asia is still on my 'to do' list. Now that my goddaughter lives in Australia and her mother and I are on the verge of retiring, I'm hoping to persuade her that we should have a mini-gap year now, taking the scenic route to Australia and back now since we didn't do it in our student years. :tup

SM
Funnily enough, they're not on my bucket list... I' m not a lover of the cuisine, I've never liked the looks of the street life either and I'm not keen on their approach on animal life.

Only one place I fancy going in that direction of the world and that would be to Kuala Lumpur and that would be purely to see the Petronas Towers.
They look OK but I have no desire to visit the far east. Loads of other places higher up my bucket list.
Qman wrote:

That is a ridiculous comment!

Unfortunately I've not been to any of them, but really wish I could.
None - and none would be on my future destination list
I haven't been to any of them and I'm realistic enough to know that I won't ever do so now, but I certainly wish I could. The furthest east I've been is Bangkok, Singapore and HongKong some years ago and that was combined with a fantastic trip crossing Australia by coach, travelling solo.

I may actually get out to Japan one day as my eldest grandson has been going there regularly for the past couple of years. He is doing a degree in Japanese studies and will spend the third year of his course out there.
None and will probably never have the budget to visit any :(

Number 14 looks remarkably like Bethnal Green market though.
Only 7 so far - but more to go, I hope!

An interesting selection - perhaps a lot of emphasis on Burma.

Strangely enough, we have just returned from a re-visit of Wat Rong Khun. It has grown enormously over the last few years and is now surrounded by places that are typically tourist. On our first visit we found it to be "special".

Whilst it is undoubtedly still a beautiful place and a great achievement by the artist / architect who funded the initial concept and now accepts only small individual donations of assistance, I do hope that it will not become, for Westerners, just another stop on the tourist trail.

A really sad reality is what has happened to the picturesque Golden Triangle of the Burma / Lao / Thai border on the Mekong. The Laotian bank has become a Chinese funded "Enterprise Zone", with many new buildings, looking wildly out of place, to attract gamblers and gambling income in a visa free zone.

To me the classic view of this area should have deserved World Heritage status and the natural beauty protected.

I wonder how many more of the places mentioned will suffer similar fates........ :(

Is it just me?

Peter
cyprus100 wrote:
Funnily enough, they're not on my bucket list... I' m not a lover of the cuisine, I've never liked the looks of the street life either and I'm not keen on their approach on animal life.

Only one place I fancy going in that direction of the world and that would be to Kuala Lumpur and that would be purely to see the Petronas Towers.

Pictures from 5 different countries, some different cuisines, lots of French influence in Laotian food, Indian, Chinese, Malay and European in Singapore, so it's a bit silly to lump them all together just because they are all in the same part of the globe, bit like lumping France, Germany and the UK together because they are all in western Europe.
I've never been to any of these places and there's no chance that I ever will, but my son living in Hong Kong, he has travelled all over this region, Thailand, Singapore, Bali, Indonesia, Philippines and China. etc.

When it was the Chinese New Year at the end of January, most of HK closes down for days. He's 'done' the Chinese new year in HK, so now when he (and his girlfriend) can get out of HK, they do at every opportunity.
They went to the Philippines for 5 days, landing in Manila and then taking a small biplane to another island.
He's been to the Philippines before and thought he'd try another island, but he said he wouldn't go back to the Philippines because the cuisine is awful.

Believe me - he has eaten some very weird looking food. :yuck :rofl

Sanji x
I've eaten deep fried crickets, and a few others, but some look so revolting I don't think I could have got them near my mouth without retching. :yuck
I've thought about trying the crickets when I see them being sold in Thailand but haven't been brave enough yet. Don't think I would even contemplate some of the other things!
Crickets were crispy and didn't taste bad at all, not much substance to them though.
I might try them sometime - as long as they are dead and cooked! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.