Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
We've driven all over the western side and never had any problems at all.

Click Here to read where we went to etc.
We've been in mid June. The roads very quiet and in most cases well maintained. The main A22 motorway that runs East to West, is dual carraigeway, even when busy is no busier than British roads and most times we have been on it a load quieter. Some of the feed offs can be a bit confusing...but you soon get used to it. Not noticed the driving standards as particularly bad.
As long as you keep your wits about you, it should not be too bad. I have lived here over three years, and only had one accident (my fault! :oops: ). Although I have had to take evasive action a few times! Roundabouts can be a bit tricky, as the Portuguese have a habit of being in the right hand lane, and then swinging accross with no signal when they realise they want to turn left. And have a care at pedestrian crossings - they do sometimes just step out without really looking.
And beware potholes and assorted obstacles if you use the minor roads. You can drive (or in my case cycle) along a fairly good road then suddenly come across a bit of Friday afternoon road mending with loose rocks all over the place.
Are you driving from Bilbao, having taken the ferry from Portsmouth, or through France?
And it might have changed now but be warned that when I was last there it was legal to jump a red light as long as you were turning right!

And watch out for the UK drivers like my friend who even though we were in local hire car automatically turned left at a roundabout in order to go round it in a clockwise direction as she would at home!

SM
I'm sorry, SMa but I'm portuguese and I can tell you you're totally wrong and it's never been legal to jump a red light if you're turning right :o)
Maybe you found one of those weird lights where it's red to go forward but a flashing yellow to turn (right or left, whatever)?
Or maybe you saw one of many smart-as** we have here, jumping red lights, specially when they're driving fast :D
But please don't do that, it's not legal, the fine is quite big and it's of course very dangerous...
As to what someone said about roundabouts, I think what you meant was portuguese drivers tend to stay on the left and then suddenly get out to the right without warning (I hate that too, that way it doesn't matter how many lanes we have in roundabouts, because if everyone does that, no one can use more than one lane safely!). What the law says is you must use the roundabout lane that better suits your destination, meaning if you're coming out on the first exit you should take the right lane, on the "middle" exit you could take the midle lane (but be careful with those who entered on the previous and may be on your right) and on the last exit or going around all the way finding which exit you need use the inner lane. It's complicated as the law isn't specific enough though. If you get hit by someone coming from the inner lane, if you don't have witnesses you may be accused of being making an ilegal move, overcoming on the right :p if you do have witnesses stating the guy from the inner lane wasnt careful and didnt signal his move, you'll be the inocent one :o)
My advise in general is keep your eyes open all the time, including on the rear mirrors; let the fast drivers go by, they can cause you an accident so let them go!; remember that priority is given to the right but many times you won't be respected so just stop always and be safe, not sorry; when the lights turn green, also look before moving ahead. I used to drive a bike so I still do the defensive driving and it's the best in this country too. Good luck!
Is there a requirement for day-glo vests, a warning triangle etc for cars also??

I have driven in the Algarve many times but never gave these items much thought and I remember reading something about a requirement for day-glo vests for every passenger recently??

Going in a few weeks and will probably hire a car.

Can anyone clarify this?

Cheers

Lummie :)
Yes, one triangle and a vest for the driver (supposed to wear all the time outside the car when having an accident, passangers are supposed to be inside the car so they don't need the vest).
Cheers Kyasbaby,

Will keep in mind when I hire.

Lummie :D
Hi Kyasbaby,

I guess we saw too many smartasses but I really did mean that my friend tried to turn left and go round the roundabout the wrong way! Here in the UK you turn left onto a roundabout and go round them in a clockwise direction and this was so ingrained in my friend that though she had driven impeccably on the right up until then, the moment we pulled up at this roundabout she went onto 'autopilot' and much to the consternation of me and all the other drivers, she tried to turn left onto it and go round clockwise as she would at home rather than anti-clockwise as she needed to in Portugal :-) Luckily the traffic was light and there were no cars actually on the roundabout and she did stop as soon as I realised what she was about to do and screeched at her to stop!

SM
:D :D
Portuguese drivers tend to be VERY smart-a**ses! So don't go for them on the road laws lol
I imagine it must be very confusing to do a roundabout in the "wrong" direction... when I was in London last year and I was supposed to go from Stanstead airport to Gatwick, someone suggested I'd rent a car and just drive there... I thought it would be too confusing and I'm glad I took a bus instead, it was my first time in a country that drives on the other side of the road and I found it very upsetting lol (then I proceeded to India and found it yet more upsetting due to another issues lol)
Just be careful, all I say is portuguese drivers aren't very good and usually don't have much respect for each other or the law itself...

Erika aka Kya
I'll drive in London and New York city but never in Portugal.
Me neither Sam I leave the driving to my hubby, he drives a right hand drive british registered car with no problems, me i just sit there gripping the seat. The majority of Portuguese drivers are not at all courteous on the roads, and of course should you unfortunately have an accident you are faced with the language barrier. Cheers Jayjan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.