Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Fiona, I've done most of the usual Goa excursions over the years, The best two I've ever done though involved overnight stays, firstly to Hampi, way inland (which, when seen in the pink sunrise, I reckon is as stunning as the Pyramids!) and secondly way down south to Udupi, and inland to see the tiger reservation.
"You open door on bus to get good picture, but if tiger come please close door quick"
(sounds better with the accent)
The local one day excursions are generally OK, but the only one which I did which was unusual was to take the trip up river crocodile spotting. As it turned out the tide was wrong for the morning, so the guide offered to take us a walking tour around the village near Carambolim Lake. And that was really excellent, one of the most memorable times I've had in Goa, meeting the locals in their own environment where not many tourists venture. And in the afternoon, the tide came in and we saw the crocodiles as well after all.
Sorry, nearly forgot
A pleasant day out. One morning, maybe get a local taxi driver to take you around the many local temples, particularly over near Ponda. Some are really impressive, and not a lot of tourists visit. Then - if you haven't ever visited the lovely churches in Old Goa, then that is a must, and stop in Panjii on the way back in the evening, maybe take one of the boats on the river at sunset.
I have thought about Hampi- must look more into it.
I don't really fancy an organised excursion so like the idea of using a local taxi driver. That trip definitely sounds like something we would enjoy :tup
I must admit we never do much lie on the beach all day and out for a meal in the evening, After 20+ visits we still always make a point of going to the night market on a weekend, either Ingos or Mackies.

I also arrange a trip for those on our shack to the Sun Village on a Monday night, costs about £10 for all you can eat and drink and there's entertainment, singers and dancers, and of course the beautiful atmosphere on the top of the hill in Arpora- we always have a great night out. Valentines night is always very good.

Some years ago, and we will do it again , we took the boat trip from Panjim down the river towards the sea and back again. Full of Indians having a great time.The boats leave early evening and its only a couple of hours.

Just a few ideas for you.
hadnt really thought about night but I did wonder if we should go to the market at Arpora and stay on for an evening.
We love doing boat trips as well. It would be just a case of being motivated enough to get ourselves organised to get there. I don't know what happens but we can't seem to move once we hit a sunbed in Goa :rofl
hi BB- did a bit of a search on that one. But not really sure about an overnight on the boat. The link you originally posted doesn't work anymore. If you have an up to date one it might be something someone would like to do
Overnight in the Rice boat was great, accomodation better than some hotels we have stayed in, food really good and the fishing was the best fun of the holiday have also done it from Devbagh Island, a bit more remote. Have also been to Hampi, went with our regular Taxi driver, who arranged everything. The trip on the boat in Panjim is a real experience, we were the only Europeans on the boat when we went and everyone was so friendly and helpful.
Booked Rice Boat & Devbagh through Day Trippers in Calangute, Hampi & Panjim we did by Taxi.
Hi folks really good topic this. Never heard of Sun Village though,anyone got more info,cheers xx
I think the poster meant the Sun Village hotel in Arpora. They have regular events (used to be Mondays and Fridays) held on the large lawns at the top of the hotel. Lots of tables loaded with food and drink, and a collection of entertainment, some bad, some good. I stayed at the hotel several years, but at that time I wasn't aware that they had started opening up to folk from outside. It just seemed to be for hotel guests.
I've had several pleasant evenings there.
Yes thats the place . We brought in the new Millenium at a big banquet and firewoks display on the lawns, a memorable event
Alan
When we first started to go to Goa 14 years ago we always went to Sun Village on a Monday night for a really good evening. Too many places to go to now though, there was a shortage of good restaurants in those days.
Fiona - Hampi is fantastic and definitely worth doing. We used a taxi to get there but I would definitely, positively not recommend doing that! It's a long way and a very tedious journey, much of it on poor roads.

I think the best way is by train. Make sure you get a good hotel in Hospet - some of them are very poor.

The rice plantation is a good trip and as others have said, the 6.30 cruise on the river in Panjim is definitely an unforgettable experience!
Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming- its a good thread for any "newbie" and even for some oldies :D
No excuse for just lazing around- but I wouldn't bet on it :rofl
I will definitely research Hampi.
hello Fiona
nice to hear from you!
go to Punjabi Dhaba in Calangute :D
daytrip ... during the day you wonder will you be dead after eating in a place like that and in the night you wonder why you did not do it long time ago!
it is authentic Indian restaurant ( is it a restaurant!!!) with DELICIOUS food. when we first saw it years ago it was only locals eating there... last time we went there a year ago there was 50/50 locals and brave tourists. :P i understand that it was not exactly you asked but i wanted to tell :) argo
hi Argo
Its nice to see you back :)
You did actually answer my question as I asked for recommendations where locals eat on another thread :D
Well it's our 15th trip at Christmas this year, and finally we're going to do a trip!!! Overnight river houseboat with John's boats, we were recommend by fellow guests at our hotel last year, really looking forward to it! But after that we will be back to the beach for the rest of our 21 days!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.