General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
import taxes
8 Posts
sorry but you must have looked at shipping prices when you were ordering :? :? :?

if you buy something off say ebay, they tell you the cost.

i just not long bought new cases & they told me the postal cost, my golf clubs were free post, amazon have differing prices depending on how long you want to wait.

so i think if you were buying something from Australia it would be a high price as its obvious it wasn't in the £65.00. 8) 8)

sorry but i don't think you were stung....only my opinion
Ray

I don't think Pat is complaining about shipping costs but about import duty which is an entirely different thing and seems quite high to me. I often order things from Canada and Hong Kong and have not as yet had to pay import duty. Postage itself from Australia should be approx £25. I'm not an expert but would have thought that if duty was due it wouldn`t be as high as 77 percent of the price of goods.
i totally agree with judith, this seems exceptionally high, i too buy a lot of things from abroad and luckily havent been charged any import duty, i even got my designer wedding dress from the usa as it was double the price here and it was obviously a lot more than £65 and i had no duty charges so i think you have been very unlucky
Simple answer is to look here.

Rates vary country to country and type of goods.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/

fwh
thanks for your replies
i am not objecting to paying postage but i didnt know i would be charged import duties as my sister bought the same boots from the same supplier and didnt have to pay import duty
is it just a case of luck of the draw wether you get charged or not
What a shame for you Pat - just make sure you get your wear out of them and enjoy them :wink:
I suspect that a lot of the cost is parcel force charges. The actual duty is a lot less but they charge you a "SERVICE CHARGE" You could ask them for the C&E receipt I bet they wont let you see it!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.