General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
inflight meals
73 Posts
Yummymummy

Yes we do exactly the same as we used to get the in-flight meals but they always got wasted so when it came to choices if you wanted them or not we opt out.

My kids love the pringles and also the sandwiches from greggs so we normally buy them for the flight and have a bite to eat at burger king ,I just wish Newcastle airport had a mcdonalds as we prefer those to burger king but still better than nothing.
We take sandwiches with us and buy drinks at the airport. Usually enjoy a sausage sandwich at Blackpool Airport! :tup
same here, we buy a couple of packets of crisps, flavoured water. and a sandwich. going with direct hols this year and the flight meals are included. probley give them a miss and make do with a packet of cheese and onion crisps propley taste better aswell.
We buy the small tubs of Pringles from Netto (pack some in suitcase for return flight too) and buy pasties/bakes/sausage rolls from Greggs at the airport.

Inflight meals are vile and a complete waste of money - fine if they're free but certainly would never pay for one! Nicest one I ever had was a breakfast on an Air 2000 flight back in 1989 and have never had an inflight meal like it before or since - worst was an XL flight a couple of years ago, loved the packaging it came in but it looked like something dog had just barfed up! Yak!
Dont know about greggs at other airports- but the one at leeds/brad has been forced to close - apparantly something to do with their low prices-

So this year I'll be packing my own sarnies up. Last year I ordered a cheese and mushroom toasty- (Jet 2) it was the most disgusting/tastless dollop of *%^$ ive ever tasted!

You cant beat your own sarnies.

Belly!
I never knew there is a pasty shop in airports, i don't seem to remember seeing any at manchester. It would be great if there happens to be one at manchester, as my little boy loves sausage rolls.

We've got an early evening flight this time so i think we may end up having a home cooked lunch ( not by me of course - i will be too busy double checking we have everything packed), then maybe take a few butties and pringles.
Thanks for telling us about greggs at Leeds.
We are going next tuesday and we normally buy sandwiches etc for inflight snack.
Will have to think of something else.

Maryb
Sorry don't do the pringles and sandwiches, I eat in flight meals. For me its part and parcel of the holiday good or bad. Most of the time I don't find them that bad. :cheers
If I go to Egypt or further I would take the in flight meal as if I am in the air for more than 5 hours I need something to break up the flight, however carp the meal is.

Spain, Portugal, France etc I wait until we are airside and then go in Boots and buy a few of their £2.99 meal deal things, sarnie, snack and drink. I dont know what it is but I never fancy my own sandwiches, bought ones seem more interesting.

If its stupid o'clock in the morning and short haul, might take a carton of orange juice and 4 croissants, which I throuw away when we arrive in destination lol. Once got to Port Aventura in Salou and managed to get in the restaurant in time for breakfast at 9.30am. :tup result !
I've always paid for the meals because we've mainly gone for flights 4 hours or more (Canary Islands/Turkey/Crete etc) and the meal is just something to pass the time really! I always eat mine, son always ate his but daughter is usually more picky! I have found you usually get seats in the first few rows if you've ordered a meal, and I like to be at the front to get a good view from the window - nothing worse than staring at a wobbly wing all the flight...
I think if I was going to the Costas or Balearics in future I probably wouldn't bother with the meal because you don't really need it on a 2 hour flight, but I will probably still continue to join the running joke for any 4+ hours journeys, just because it's part of the holiday :roll:
I always go Long Haul so tend to book the inflight meals (passes the time!) , I work in a travel agency and the statistics show that only around 40% purchase in flight meals before they go, I must admit if I ever fly short haul, I will not bother with the inflight meals, I will buy something at the airport.
Well as strange as it might seem both me and the hubby really quite like the inflight meals we get so would always add them onto the holiday so far though we've never had to pay for them. :tongue
I noticed the Greggs missing at Leeds and Bradford when I used the airport in May - luckily as I was on an early morning Sunday flight I didn't plan on it being open anyway. I was hoping it was just shut for a refit as when it opened a couple of years ago, I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't charge over inflated airport prices.
I used to look forward to my inflight meal, however naff it was. It was a big part of that holiday experience, peeling off the metal top to see what lurked beneath. Now, however, I don't really want to pay extra for it so normally don't bother.

I have a snack at the airport if I'm hungry, though it's usually really early in the morning. Then I buy a meal deal from Boots for eating on the plane. On the way back as I'm usually coming off a gulet (and therefore can't get any food prepared, sandwich etc.) I will buy something on the plane and just rough it at the airport. It's not cheap but it's not extortionate like Dalaman airport is.
I love the inflight meals, have never had a bad one (may be down to luck!) The best Ive had has got to be Thai Air, I passed at least 10 minutes deciding what to have from the menu! We are flying with Eva this year and I am hoping my run of good meals will continue!
I do agree with others on the short haul flights, you can get a meal in wetherspoons at the airport for not much more than the airlines charge and even I have to agree the food is a lot better! ;)
Well as strange as it might seem both me and the hubby really quite like the inflight meals we get so would always add them onto the holiday

So do we, there's never any waste & as has been said it does pass the time. We also have something to eat in the airport before we go on an early flight. If its a later flight we usually stop somewhere on the way - we always book the in flight meal though!
If I was on a longish flight I have the inflight meals and have usually enjoyed them!

However if we are doing Easyjet to Palma I make up bacon baps myself and and we would have them in the restaurant in the airport with a cup of coffee!

Those airport cafes charge a flippen fortune for the most basic of stuff - once we bought a fry for our lunch and it was £25 for three of us :(

Learned my lesson after that..........
Hubby and I really enjoy the inflight meals, never had a bad one and always finish it! It really breaks up the flight too! :)
Most of the time our meals have been edible, however, the scrambled egg on the return flights from Goa leave a lot to be desired.

Overall, the meals are ok, but if I had to pay for them, I wouldn't.

Sheila.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.