General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I gave up on in-flight meals a few years ago. Unless staying overnight at an airport hotel, we usually have to leave home about 2.30, to check in for a flight about 6a.m. and I really looked forward to a breakfast on the plane. But one year they served breakfasts up to the row in front of us (about row 14) and then announced they had run out of breakfasts but did have CHICKEN CURRY !!!!
Now apart from the fact I am extremely allergic to chicken, I couldn't have faced a curry at that time in the morning. So money totally wasted paying for my meal. Never again would I pay extra.
I do us all a pack up. I like having different choices & to be prepared for any of my panic 'emergencies'. One such 'emergency' happened when we flew to Cyprus from Manchester. We'd stayed overnight in an airport hotel as we had an early flight & there wasn't breakfast provided (either that or we were too early :que ). Anyway, we got to the airport and the check in queue was at the door (it was not long after 9/11 so security was tight). By the time we managed to check in we then had to join the loooong queue to go to departure lounge. By the time we cleared this backlog we were sent straight to our flight.

We ended up eating/drinking our packed 'lunch' in the queue as we didn't have time for breakfast in the airport as we'd hoped so were ravenous.
this year I wasnt gunna pay for inflight meals,and although I love them,i wasnt paying for all 3 of us to eat on the plane they wouldnt let us do it seperatly,there was only me and my sister that wanted to eat on the flight back from malaga lunchtime, and they said the whole party had to have the meals.

Il be eating a full english at manchester airport fly at 6.20am. and comi ng back Il just have to pay a snack at rip off malaga airport..
We always pre-book meals but I've been dissapointed the last few times.We flew with thomson this year from newcastle to turkey and the meals were dire, I don't even know what mine was but it did contain chicken, the bairn took the foil off the top of his and passed it to his dad!
Coming back we flew at stupid o'clock so me and the bairn told hubby, if we were asleep when the meals came round, not to bother waking us up. He said it was a goulash but was a bit spicy, so I would have probably left it and Tom would have too.
Next year our meals are included in the price of the holiday but if they hadn't of been we were not going to bother pre-booking. I will be buying big stotties from Greggs at the airport though, just in case! ;)
I dont know how much Thomas Cook charge for pre-booked meals but the last 2 TC flights I have been on advertise them for £5 each.
They usually have a choice too.
I much prefer Greggs sandwiches. :rofl :rofl
We haven't done inflight meals for years...the last one we had was a freebie on an XL flight and barring the lemon pudding, it was the worst thing I'd ever seen! Best inflight meal was a breakfast on Air2000 flight but for most part, all we ever ate was the breadbun!

Have usually bought snacks to eat on the plane but this year with our flight being at 18.00 and not getting into resort till approx 00.30 I'm going to make the kids up with sarnies, crisps etc for them to eat on the plane.
We don't bother, unless its long haul and they are free.

The only times I have eaten them in the past is breakfast.

The worst tasting thing was on a cheese muffin type thing dished out on A Virgin flight back from Vegas :yikes it was awfull!

We just eat at the airport now and take a snack for longer flights.
For the first time ever aren't having inflight meals. I've got a quiche in the oven and making sandwiches tommorow, plus bought some crisps and buy a drink in the airport....I'm going to Gran Canaria tomorrow!!! :sun2
Have a lovely holiday Chilligrape. I envy you the sunshine it's dismal here.

Judith
the inflight meal is part of my holiday , love wondering what we are having, and to be honest with you we have never had a bad meal , i am a bit fussy so its not a case of eating anything or everything . Chilligrape have a fantastic holiday, and Judith where's here as its beautiful here in s.wales been sat in the garden sunbathing most of the afternoon :offtop
Thank you. I'm very excited!! Been lovely today here...think you have been unlucky weatherwise today Judith. :(
For long haul we'll pay the extra for the meal. It's worth having something warm and wholesome sometimes. The best inflight meal I've had was with Qatar, they gave us a menu with choice of meal and it was really lovely, well impressed!

Last time I flew (Manchester to Exeter), the staff at the airport made me put my food/drinks in the bin when our bags were being scanned. I thought you were only allowed food/drink if it's been purchased after the bag scan. Unless it's changed, not too sure! :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.