Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
injections
11 Posts
Been to Greece 6 times & never had any injections. Never even had a bad tummy there.
Never had injections for greece :)
Nor me, turkey yes, greece no
Who advised you to have injections , i can appreciate having them for Egyhp, but not greece.
possibly in turkey and north Africa but apart from the normal boosters for your uk vaccinations, no extras are required in the EU
llindy, its on the front cover of my first choice travel details...
its says recommended health reguirements..hap a, typhoid, and tetnus.
i am at a loss now, do i get typhoid injection or not...

just found this.

Main page » Continent: Europe, Country: Greece

Greece - Europe
by a journey to Greece onless than 1 month recommend protection against the following infections:

Recommended vaccinations Starting

Diphtheria 1 day
Tetanus 1 day
Typhoid 1 week

1 week

When to start vaccinations before leaving::

Read more about the single vaccinations below.
If you need more information, Ask the Doctor

Diphtheria
Diphtheria is a serious throat infection, which infects from person-to-person through the air. The vaccination should be less than 10 years old otherwise a booster is needed.
Read more about diphteria here.

Tetanus
Tetanus is a complication to wounds contaminated by soil. If there has been a vaccination within the past 10 years it is not necessary to give a booster in case of wounds and accidents. Tetanus vaccinations are usually given in combination with diphtheria vaccine. If you are previously vaccinated, the vaccine can be given right up to departure.

Typhoid
Typhoid is the most serious of the Salmonella infections. There are two types of vaccine:
1. Vaccine for injection, one vaccination protect up to 3 years.
2. A live vaccine in capsules, which is swallowed. Three capsules are taken 2 days apart and provide protection for a year.
Read more about typhoid here.
Read more about diarrhoea here.
If it will make you feel better then go ahead and have them done , i think it comes down to personal choice , we had the injections when we went to turkey a few years ago , just as a precaution , as a friend came back and was unwell turned out she had Hep . As far as i remember when we went to Greece last year nobody mentioned anything about jabs. We didn't have to pay for our jabs made an appt with the surgery nurse .
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/europe/greece.shtml
http://www.nathnac.org/ds/c_pages/country_page_GR.htm#vpr

I'd just double-check with your GP surgery if you want to be totally sure, but I think typhoid's probably overkill. I've had Hep A (probably not necessary if in main resort areas) and tetanus/diphtheria (10 year booster). If you have typhoid it's not going to hurt - and who knows where your next holiday might be (you'll be well prepared!)?
i have allready booked it for monday ...
i was going to have it any way, i am very protective of my body..if there is something about i will get it..
always given my children the required injections too...
thanks for everyones help and advice... :tup
We didn't have them. got to the surgery and the nurse couldn't believe that first choice had recommended typhoid for Greece...
so she advised us not to have it, as it only lasts for three years..come back when we actually need it..
so thanks everyone for advice..it was duly noted..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.