Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I am sorry to hear they are spoiling Goa but I have just come back from Hurghada and there were lots in my hotel and some of them are drunk from dawn to dusk,along with other nationalities.
We just tried to ignore them and asked the barmen why they served anyone when they are obviously drunk?
They said they could not refuse them. :que Hopefully next year when there are extra flights from the UK they will be in the minority. :tup
By some of the comments this year it looks like there will be far fewer UK visitors next year.

Goa it seems could be reaping what it has sowed.

The Russians are relatively new to foreign travel and it seems a lot of them do not know how to behave. Same could be said for a fair few Brits I have seen abroad.

There are massive cultural hurdles to overcome for them and it seems all is not well.

I have also heard that many taxi drivers will not carry them.

Interesting times.

Papa
My hotel in Arpora seems to be typical of many seeing a decline in British and Scandanavian guests, along with this huge increase in Russians.

Some interesting comments from a very well-educated Russian lady I met, who lives and works as a teacher in the UK. She explained to me.....

There is new wealth for so many in Russia (hence the holidays abroad), but the lack of 'cultural heritage' means that they simply do not know how to handle it. They become 'loud' (her description). They also have little, if any, concept of good manners and respect for others - another cultural issue.

Many people are saying that the police should set an example to miscreants to try and show some measure of controlling the situation. However, a local has said that the government have told the police to avoid arresting Russians.
They also have little, if any, concept of good manners and respect for others - another cultural issue.

I think some people from other countries (i.e. not just Russia) when they are paying for a service - be it in a shop, bar, hotel, restaurant etc - do not feel it is necessary to say 'please' and 'thank you'.
It is sufficient (in their culture) to simply pay their money.

I personally wouldn't dream of not saying 'please' when I asked for something, and I always say 'Thank you ' when a waiter brings me a meal or drink or am given my change in a shop, but quite a few of my fellow counrymen don't.
And that's here in our own country, let alone abroad.

I also think that the Russian language itself sounds quite aggressive.
I was lying on my sunbed and thought World War 3 had broken out as some Russians seemed to be on the verge of assaulting each other.
When I sat up , they were just having a conversation.

Having said that, I have seen some very drunken Russians well before midday and I dislike what some of them do - taking their own drinks to the beach, then trying to negotiate the food prices on the shack menus.

We were in a shack when 4 Russians came in and asked the price of red snapper.
After being told the price they ordered 2 and were told it would take x minutes to cook.
Halfway into the cooking time, they said they would only pay half the price.
The shack staff stuck them out and after they'd eaten they paid (full amount), then ordered Honeybees.
After drinking that, they started to walk out, the shack staff challenged them about the drinks and they said 'complimentary'.
Once again, the beach staff stuck them out for the money.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.