DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
I've done DIY holidays for years and I remember very well feeling just like you the first time. It all seemed too easy and too cheap.

I also remember the first time I booked everything on the internet (which was some years later) feeling exactly the same.

Nothing went wrong, everything was great and I never booked another package deal again.

It's no good me telling you to relax, you probably won't but you just wait until you get there and your taxi whisks you off leaving the hoards waiting for their coaches. Then when you get to your apartment it turns out to be exactly what you're expecting!

I'm sure you won't regret it but when the worry get's too much, just work out how many beers and ice creams you can buy with what you've saved, that will put the smile back on your face!!

Have a great time and when you get back, don't forget to let us know here whether you've been converted to DIY holidays.
For the past few years I have always done DIY, and like you I worried for a while, now I don't. But this time I have booked a package holiday for the first time in years...........and am worrying that it won't be right!!!!!! :( Silly eh!! I suppose cos up till now if things went wrong I only had myself to blame, but if the package goes wrong..........??
It's perfectly normal to worry - I have done also when I've dealt with package tour operators as to whether anything has been omitted!

For peace of mind, just make sure that your E111s are up to date (you need a new one for 2005 for EVERY member of the party travelling) and that you have taken out insurance if you think you need to for anything specific. Now make photocopies of your passports/driving licences/bank cards and give them to someone you can rely on if the worst happens and you need to get numbers etc.

Pack a packet of hankies in your handluggage, some water, a couple of aspirins and your sunglasses, and start to look forward to your holiday! You sound as though you are ready for it!!
Natural to worry mate, after being ripped of through package holidays for so long we're bound to feel uneasy when an independent company can offer the same thing for many hundreds less. You start thinking well why is it so much less... is something dodgy??

Everything will be fine.

These days, after reading the reviews in here and seeing the package holiday reports on the TV, I think your more likely to have problems with packages than with DIY.

Not always the case, but I've found...

Big package companies = Too big to care
Small independent (DIY) = So small they have to care

Maybe that can be a slogan for a new travel company... "So small, we have to care!" hehe

Just an opinion :wink:

Jazz
Thanks everyone, feel a wee bit better now, altho' I think as I'm a born worrier that I'll still worry till we get to our apartments safe and sound :D

Ref the E111's - last year we used one for all 5 of us, do we need one each now then?
Hi! Yes the ruling on E111s has changed and you need one for each and every member of your family who will be going on holiday with you! Sorry! Another trip to the Post Office.
Oooooh thanks for that - will let my Mum & Dad know as they travel next week.
Have been doing DIY via the internet for quite a while. There is always a degree of apprehension involved...however so far nothing has gone wrong for us. Flights have always been there, accommodaton and transfers booked as requested and I usualy do two or three centre holidays. Ironically the only holiday that has gone wrong recently had been dynamically packaged through a travel agent. Turned up at hotel ...not booked..agent had put us in another hotel 20 miles away and not told us.
More information and discussion about changes to the E111 is available in the following topic:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8219

David :wave
Don,t think we,d be human if we didn,t worry. I think we feel a tour rep makes you feel more secure. Which I,m sure many will agree they don,t. At the end of the day it,s natural to worry but like many things the more you diy the more your confidence will grow. :D
Booked my first DIY last year,all done over the internet and basically for the same reasons high prices as we also are a family of 5. I worried no end that everything would go wrong and especially when I hadn't heard from the apartment people, after only paying a deposit and about a month until we where due to go. I emailed them only to be told I didn't have to pay the rest until I arrived and checked everything was ok for us. What a difference to the travel agents way. Everything worked out perfect from getting picked up at the airport, driven straight to apartment and again on the way back and was far better than any other holiday. Doing it myself and for the price I paid was so good that since then I have booked for friends, family etc and have done the same for us this year. You will enjoy this holiday more than ever and so many people on here can help you if you have any more worries. Karen
Quite usual to worry on your first DIY - you will miss the mental security of travelling with a large agent - I know I did and also the added responsibility of letting down the other members of your party if it all goes wrong :!:
Good Insurance is a must and personal reccomendations always seem more reassuring. If you are travelling to a well established resort in a well established tourist country you will have no problems.
Enjoy
Yes it is normal! Funny thing is though that we have never paid up front for our hotel- and would only lose a days payment if we didn't go. I think this gives you the security of knowing you are not "lumbered" if you dont like it.
Just take pcs of everything! Also phone the airline the day before you leave to make sure the timings haven't changed. And use forums like this to do as much research before hand as possible!
We have done several diy's including one to Madeira last November during which I had an accident and had to be flown home early. Ok so it might have been a bit easier had we had a rep but we coped and it has certainly not put us off - in fact we went to Majorca diy in March!!

As said before some hotels/apartments do not require the full payment until you arrive (or in the case of our Majorca hotel when we departed). This is very reassuring as it seems they are more interested in making sure you are happy rather than just taking the money.

Go for it!!

Pippa
We have done several diy's including one to Madeira last November during which I had an accident and had to be flown home early. Ok so it might have been a bit easier had we had a rep but we coped and it has certainly not put us off - in fact we went to Majorca diy in March!!

As said before some hotels/apartments do not require the full payment until you arrive (or in the case of our Majorca hotel when we departed). This is very reassuring as it seems they are more interested in making sure you are happy rather than just taking the money.

Go for it!!

Pippa
Hi. I've just arrived back from a very nice short stay holiday to Cala Ratjada.
I booked the flights (Easy-Jet) over the internet, also the hotel (Alpharooms.com), the car hire (holidayautos.co.uk) and the insurance (Insure & Go).
I was wondering if anyone has ever booked a flight and car hire and slept in the car overnight avoiding the need for hotels? I've worked out that i could have a 2 week stay in Mallorca in August for under £200.
Cheers, Peter Williams.
That is your site !! We have our own diy tips at the top of the page. :evil:
It's just a little annoying when we have a website that covers all options for DIY. We have hints and tips for DIY etc etc and then someone comes along who anonymously posts a link the their site which offers roughly the same information.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.