Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
That should be no problem at all, sure I have seen similar packaged up but DIY would be just as easy.

Start with the flights on somewhere like expedia(use the multi destinations) also try an open jaw UK-NY with Vegas-UK(these are usualy the same as a regular return) and a cheap internal US carriers for the NY-florida florida-vegas.

or do a caribbean cruise from NY(NCL GEM 10n) to cut out one of the flights
would it be costly do you think for all that or should i just do a 2week caribbean and save up for america in a couple of years?

what does open jaw mean?

thanks for your help.
I've often seen a cruise with a Vegas stay advertised. We considered this a couple of years ago, but decided to do them separately.

If I remember correctly it was a Mexican Riviera cruise rather than Caribbean although I'm sure that can be done.

We got a price from http://www.scotlandscruisecentre.co.uk who can tailor make cruise and stay packages, but it will be more expensive than doing it yourself.

luci :wave
im always too worried that doing it DIY could mean missing a connection or worrying about transfers etc.
how much difference do you think it could be doing it DIY?
You could just as easily miss a connection on a package. ;)

You could try pricing flights using http://www.netflights.co.uk http://www.opodo.co.uk or http://www.unitedvacations.co.uk

However what which flights they put together as they offered me FlyBe flights to Gatwick and Virgin to Vegas, but FlyBe and Virgin don't code share with anyone so I couldn't have checked my baggage straight through to destination and they didn't allow enough time to pick up luggage at Gatwick and check it in again. That is one of the reasons I then go to the airlines' own websites, so it is all on one ticket, and they are also usually slightly cheaper.

WIndjammer or Hamrag should be able to advise you on booking cruise only, but a good starting point would be http://www.vacationstogo.co.uk who have a UK number even though they are a US company. Booking via the US is more expensive than it was due to the exchange rate.

so would i need to go manchester - gatwick - new york - florida - cruise - florida - las vegas - gatwick - manchester?

dont think i could convince wife into that. hadnt realised so many flights.
thanks for your help.
Maybe try posting in the Flights forum about the flights. There may be some airlines that go direct to New York from Manchester.

Both Norwegian Gem and RCI Explorer of Seas do a 10 night Caribbean from New York. Personally would not go all the way over to West coast America for a couple of nights! Best to do that on another occasion, possibly combining Mexican Riviera...there were some offers a month ago for Jan-Mar with 2 days LA, 2 days San Fran, 2 days LAs Vegas followed by a 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise at very sensible prices (£1000 including flights and hotels).

As far as getting to New York is concerned, I was quoted earlier today for a flight to Fort Lauderdale and Manchester, via JFK New York was one of the options offered so it sounds like Manchester to New York is fine. The problem you will have is your chosen month, January, as there can be much snow in NYC at that time of year. We flew into NYC for a 13 night Caribbean, sailing from NYC, on 31st January last year and had no problem. The good thing is if you have 2 or 3 nights pre-cruise then you have a plan B, C etc.
i like the sound of the mexican riviera with a las vegas stay (if i had to choose LV or NY i would choose LV) but i cant find it anywhere for next jan. i can see it advertised for this year but the scotland cruise site keeps crashing on me.
I have seen it advertised on the worldwide cruises telext pages at P228
would a las vegas stay followed by a day in san diego and a cruise on the mexican riviera be more feasible? id like that because ive wanted to go to san diego zoo since i was a kid.
It looks like they do, since the itinerary gives details of the flights and then when you look at the cruise, it wouldn't cost anything like that price to take a week on Mariner- which BTW is a fabulous ship.
Nice itinerary too! :tup
tuppence wrote:
what does anyone think of this cruise?

http://www.cruise365.com/searchpages/CRUISE_rcmamelas11apr04dec0.htm

do these prices include flights?

They definitely include flights, and cruise 365 are a fantastic company to deal with (based in Durham area, certainly NE). We have cruised with them twice before, and the price will be genuine. Looks like it is precisely what you are looking for. San Diego is a long way to go for a zoo though, Edinburgh is much closer!
in the current climate of companies going bust, how safe would it be to book this? i know you arent psychic but what i mean is would it all be safe and protected if something did happen?
Bear in mind you will pay only a deposit at this stage, final payment is generally a couple of months out. Would be extremely surprised if they are not ABTA registered etc. but I am not an expert in that area!!
If you look at their website they are ABTA registered.
so what do they need to be for my holiday not to collapse, ATOL, ABTA or any other?
The problem you get is it depends.

ABTA,ATOL etc. it is hard to understand what protection you have from these.
Credit card for at least part of the payment is also good, you do not have to pay it all on a CC to get protection.

As a package with flights etc 365 have good deals and we have used them for a Panama before.

Our latest Cruise we booked NCL cruise only through 365 and their standard invoice said ATOL protected which it wasn't. Not sure what cover we got from their ABTA status.

They also take payments and pass them on, so we had to keep an eye on making sure our payments got to NCL.
Deposit took ages, they paid final before we had paid them(because of the exchage rate).

Once the payments are made to airline for flights(get the booking ref) and cruise line even if the TA goes down you are relativly safe.
Most cruise lines seem to be hounring bookings if a TA goes down but flights can be an isisue if not paid for.

I prefer the US where the TA acts as an agent and gives the cruise line you CC No. and they take the money and refund the TA their share, this does not work so well for package deals.

I do not understand the UK bonding system at all(as you can tell).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.