Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Is this a scam?
34 Posts
No matter how its dressed up it is a Con

Sorry no excuses they are offering 6 day holidays

Kate
Yes they are offering a 6 and half day holiday. These are timings shown before a booking is made. The customer sees those timings and I assume can work out that it is a 6-6/ half day holiday. Then they compare this too other prices offered for similar or different holidays then they make a booking.

A con is when you are offered something you pay and then dont get that what was offered.

Why do you think the morning flight departures are more expensive and carry supplements.

Stewart
I must admit that I like night flights!! It means the kids sleep, and at the end of the holiday we get a full day not half.

This year we arrive at Tenerife around 10.30pm, so past midnight by the time we arrive for night 1.

We do not arrive back in Manchester until 4.20am on return, so fly from Tenerife around midnight, so have a full day to wait around.

I was fully aware of this when booking and take into account the cost of booking a late check out room when costing my holiday. That way our 14th day can be utilised as fully as possible.
If the charters didn't have night flights, the aircraft would lose around a third of possible flying time (and incur the horrendous charges the airports impose for parking) - loss of that sort of revenue would send the price of packages/flights through the roof. Margins are way too tight to accomodate that sort of loss without affecting prices.

Individual arrangements with foreign hotels will affect check-out times (that is the hotel's right to ensure they can get rooms cleaned between clients dependant on local labour). If you are lucky, with an early morning return, you may get to keep your room til perhaps 4pm (or "purchase" a day room if available) - I would agree that 10am seems a bit premature, but it is not unique

salutory lesson 1/ choose whether or not you want to take the - cheaper- night flight option and accept the inconvenience 2/ - ASK the question when you book - what time is check-out of the room??

Boy is it easier to be wise with hindsight :)

We loathe night flights to the extent that we will travel 150 plus miles to an airport which has a better time schedule rather than accept the night flight from our regional airport (which would mean hanging around aimlessly with the kids in resort waiting to fly home) sometimes however a night flight can mean a days annual leave saved, less petrol/parking costs, less ££££ (we paid £83pp daytime supplement on one occasion which was horrendous - but at least had the option to make a choice)

This applies to every charterer - watch the flight schedules! the BY's, TCX, FCA, MON's all work flat out, rarely do any of them have more than an hour to an hour and a half on the ground at any time day or night.
Check out ceefax (pages 440 onwards) for your local airport an hour-ish before your departure time to spot where your aircraft is probably coming in from. (Keeps my 11 year old occupied working backwards on any one particular aircraft to work out where he THINKS it has been all day!)

They are on the ground just long enough to unload, reload, recater, clean. Flight times depend on what flights the aircraft has already operated that day (plus to some degree the slot/parking stand availability ). It is NOT a sadistic plot to delay a departure to 00.30 just to deprive you of a room for the night - the situation would be the same if you left at 23.00 or 03.00 from the UK.

Easy to be wise after the event isn't it (do I sound as if I'm lecturing - sorry!!) :oops:
definately a con!!!! just got back from kos our flight was at 6am we had our room til 9am the day before but we had to pay 20 euros to have it til 8pm.

me and my mates had to find a bar to sit in til 3.30am til the coach picked us up so instead of 14 nights which we pated for we got 13 and had to pay 20 euros for 1 extra evening

CON!!!!!!!!
Bah, night flights. I avoid them like the plague.

Who wants to arrive home at 3-4am ? Would make me feel like another holiday to get over that.
not sure If I have missed something here (probably have :oops: :lol: ) but June only has 30 days so if first night was classed as 28 th which I would expect it to be even though you are arriving through the night your room, as has been said before is reserved from the previous day so

night 1 = 28th
night 2 = 29th
night 3 = 30th
Night 4 = 1st july
night 5 = 2nd july
night 6 = 3rd july
night 7 = 4th july

4th july being the day you would check out on on a '7' night holiday even if it is during that 7th night , thats what I would expect, not being asked to leave on the 3rd July, as that is def only 6 nights :? same for the member who had a 14 night and got 13, surely this is misrepresentation of the holiday you actually end up with :evil:

its about time holiday companys DID sort themselves out, stop all this silly 'small print' and be up front and honest in the first place, it would stop many compensation claims, which they seem to be inundated with!

I hope you get a good result :P
Yes, you have missed something here! The room would have been reserved for them for the night of Thursday 27 so that they could get into their room as soon as they arrived. If it had only been reserved and paid for for the night of the 28th they'd have arrived very early in the morning of the Friday but had to wait until 2.00pm or even 4.00pm at the earliest to get into the room. I know which option I'd prefer and it isn't hanging around for most of the day waiting to get into my room before I could freshen up, change out the clothes I'd been wearing to travel in etc and get on with enjoying my holiday.

SM
RE
if when you had got to zante and you room wasnt available for you to go in at whatever time you arrived, say 6.30 am in the morning until the following morning, (when the new customers arrive), then you would complain. :twisted:

And apart from that, I think £250 per person is a fantastic price for half term, doubt you would even get 'DIY' for that, especially not day flights!! :lol:
But, without wishing to counter TAH-M's sensible comments which I totally agree with, isn't it possible for an aircrew to run out of hours, and for some airports to operate 'restrictions' on night flights or even close completely until early morning (say 06H00) for passenger traffic?
Whether people think Leslie has herself to blame or not/is or isn't a con, the fact is, is that the TA should have informed her when she booked! It may not be the law, but it's the moral thing to do!
The TA would've informed her of her flight times. They wouldn't of realised that the customer was expecting a room to be reserved for them for 8 nights.
The customer decided to take the flight times, what were they expecting?
Hi Going Places Girl I've had much the same problem explained in the link above highlighted by Brairskeg.
I've got a night flight to Turkey in August and stupidly didn't realise that a) my check out time was 14 and a half hours prior to our flight home, and b) I only had my room for 13 nights! Biggest problem is, there's no late check out available at my property. Had this been explained to me at the time of booking I would have either chosen day flights, or a property with bookable rooms for late checkout. I have to say I was annoyed with the travel agent, but I blame myself for not being more vigilant when reading the small print.
Laurence
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.