Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
IXIA BEACHES
26 Posts
The beaches on Ixia and Trianda are mainly large pebbles but in a couple of places there is a mix of pebbles and sand/shingle. It's not too bad to walk on but I would advise anybody going there to get a pair of rubber beach shoes to make life more comfy. There's a small sand/shingle beach just outside the old city walls near the harbour - (not Mandraki) but very public and close to the road.

Get the bus down to Faliraki or hire a car and go to Lindos, Tsambeki or Prasonissi for the day. It's a lovely island so don't worry about the beaches - all you do is lay on a lounger anyway.

Enjoy.
Hi G&D :D

Most of beaches in Rhodes Town are no better than Ixia though there is a sand beach in the Zephyros area of town. To be fair the beaches in Ixia are not bad - yes they are pebbly and the sea is choppier so not crystal clear because of the sand being stirred up but some areas have a blue flag for cleanliness.

Tsambika, mentioned by Parky, is a fabulous beach and one of my favourites and though Prassonissi is worth a visit i wouldn't say it's a good beach for bathing. There's also a very good beach further down the west coast at Kamiros. You can pick up the bus in Ixia to take you there, any east coast beaches you'll have to change buses in Rhodes Town.

Where are you staying? You'll find many places in Ixia tend to have a decent swimming pool and alot of people choose to do their bathing there.
Also tends to be a bit breezy on the Aegean side of Rhodes, sea is often quite choppy. Mediteranean side is more sandy and calmer.
thanks all :D

Parky were staying at the avra beach hotel have heard mixed reviews but so looking forward to it - hey its a chance to get away from here! have been to falariki when i was a younger girl and the beach there was brill!

were not normally the type that like to lie around the pool (no offence intended0 we like to lie on the beach and get our feet dirty!

thanks again! 8)
We stayed at Avra Beach a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. The last day spoilt it when we saw the cats wetting the seats in the lounge and the furniture keft to dry. All in all, a good holiday. The bus stop for Rhodes is just across the road, and good luck when you try to cross, but it's only 6 or 7 € to get a taxi, and it's a lot quicker.

enjoy it.
Just wondering if any one has been to this resort.Going in August to Solemar Hotel.. :lol:
hi Julie welcome to HT.. you will find members reviews in the resort section
or click the link http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/greece/rhodes/ixia/

wizard
I lived there for a while (in the Solemar Hotel) so know Ixia very well.

The hotel is basic and a bit dated looking but clean, friendly and very central. It's set back a little bit from the busy coast road but there's still some traffic noise so if that bothers you i'd put in a request for a quiet room.

Ixia was one of the first resorts on the island so it's a bit shabby and tired looking in parts but there's great facilities - lots of restaurants/bars to choose from. The beach is sand and shingle and very breezy so most people tend to stick poolside for sunbathing. You'll find the resort is on the breezier side of the island but in August this is very much a POSITIVE! Another plus is the close proximity to Rhodes Town, there's a good regular bus service or you can flag down a taxi on the main road. Great for exploring town and a good money saver for excursions as you can buy your boat trips directly in Mandraki Harbour.

Hope this helps, anymore feel free to ask :D
Thanks for your reply...Sounds ok will let you know what i think when i return.. :D
HI.

Was just wondering if you have to pay for sun loungers on the beach in Ixia..and if so how much... :?
Hi, yes they do charge for sunbeds. Haven't been to Ixia beach in the last couple of years but to give you an idea we paid 4 euros in Lindos.
ok thank you thats not to bad...are you allowed to take your own food and drink on the beach..as when i was in Turkey last year they liked you to buy the food from the the bar that you were sitting outside. 8)
Yes, no problem with taking your own food and drink to the beach it's only hotels that expect you to use their bar, etc. You'll find a couple of supermarkets on the way to the beach from Solemar.
Thanks for all your help...Was also wondering what the airport is like in Rhodes.. :?
In a word - CHAOS but at least it's only a small part of your holiday!

They've been building to improve/extend the airport for several years as it's not really big enough for the amount of people passing through. Arrivals is not too bad now, there's another 2 carousels so you never seem to wait too long for your luggage. It can be a bit chaotic in the coach park if you're on a coach transfer but normally plenty of reps about.

Departures is usually a bit of a nightmare with queues trailing out of the door. There's rarely enough seating once you're through passport control so if there's any great delay i tend to use the cafe/seating area to the right of passport control (before you go through) as it's generally quieter. The reps will encourage you to go straight through with the masses but you don't have to. Duty Free at the airport is pretty good and wine/spirits are v good - cheaper than many resorts.
Sounds a bit like Turkey! Thanks for all your help you've been great.. :lol:
Hi,

Not been to Rhodes before - thinking of going to Ixia at end of June.
Want somewhere quite large and reasonably lively but not mad. Is this likely to be a good choice ?.

( Went to Stalis in crete last year and this is typical of somewhere we would like )

Many thanks

added ti the Iaxia thread
Hi,
we stayed in Ixia last year and were a little disappointed as the resort is very spread out along a very busy road.It has lots of good restaurants and a fair selection of shops. For shopping visit Rhodes Old Town its not far from Ixia.
We visited Lindos and Pefkos and much prefered these resorts,they had much more character especially Lindos.We like medium tsized resorts with plenty restaurants with good local food and plenty to see and do.
If we went back( I am sure we will) we would probably stay in Pefkos as we like a pool and there are not many in Lindos.
I hope I haven't put you off,its just not the prettiest resort in Greece.
Good luck
mm if you're looking for somewhere lively Ixia is not the place for you. It is just a short bus or taxi ride from Rhodes Town though, so if you find a hotel in Ixia you like go for it - you can easily get into the town when you want more nightlife.
Lindos as the previous post says is lovely and has good nightlife. Not crazy but some great bars and a handful of clubs. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.