Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi - we have booked to go to Jamaica with First Choice and the departure tax is not included in the price.
Thanks Hollie.

We've just returned and ours was included in the Virgin package.

Be aware that Jamaica have also recently introduced a utilities tax, payable at the airport, which is 2.50 USD for everyone over 2 years of age.
I hadn't heard about the utilities cost - is this payable on departure. Can I just ask whether you took JA$ or US$? Not sure whether to just take both to be on the safe side!
Yes, you pay the utility charge at check in.

Whichever Caribbean island I go to, I always just take US dollars, as it seems to be the favoured currency. Certainly in Jamaica everything seemed to be quoted in USD.
We've just booked to go to Jamaica with Thomsons and they never mentioned departure tax. Can anyone tell me how much it is per person? I'll need to look into whether or not its included in my holiday price, I doubt very much it will be!
I'm pretty sure it's 27 USD per person.
Has anyone got the exact price it costs to enter/leave jamaica?

This would be great.
Hi,

I went last year, its just departure tax you have to pay, has to be cash only, cant remember exact price, was about $40 per person. I know it changes though so for the best info speak to your travel agent.

cheers
Thanks michelleward18,

My sister is a travel agent will get her to find out exact price and will leave a message in this forum for further people that require this information.

David
hi, we just got back from jamaica and the departure tax is £10 per person or $15, not sure how much in jamaican dollars, but it has to be cash and you pay it when you check your bags in at montego bay airport.
Hello Juby,

Thanks for that! bit off topic, but where did you stay? ( you can pm me )

David
hi david, we stayed at starfish trelawny in falmouth and had the most fantastic time !!!
I'm going to Starfish on 12th July. Would appreciate any information. Just me and an 11 year old so need lots of daytime entertainment.
hi joyceb, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have regarding starfish, no problem ! :tup
Thanks juby 5,

My main concern is my daughter, if she is happy I can relax and be happy. She is a good mixer and will go to the kids club and take part in any activities that are going on. I read somewhere that we have to pay for the kids club. Is that for all their activities or just some?

We will be doing the Dunns waterfall trip and probably two others. We have swam with dolphins twice so would like to experience something else. What other trips would you recommend?

Would you recommend taking our own towels?

If you can think of anything else that would be useful let me know. Thanks for your help.

joyceb
hi joyceb, your daughter will love starfish as did our 8yrold daughter.
There is no need for her to go to kids club. everyday at reception there is an activity sheet saying what the entertainment staff are doing that day. all the action for kids/teens/adults are round the pool, there is a stage and seating and the staff work so hard to entertain with games, competitions, dance class, bracelet making, circus skills, etc.
Actually, my daughter just loved the waterslides in both pools, the complex is so safe for kids, no way could they dissapear.
As for trips, I would go to sports direct if you have one and get yourselves some water shoes ( £2.99) and definately do dunns river falls, the hotel tour desk do this for $40 per adult and $20 per child, this includes a stop off at discovery bay, nice little outdoor museum.
Luminous lagoon is a must too, you get picked up at the hotel about 6 oclock, go to glistening waters restraunt, ( about 10 mins down the road ), then you go out on a boat and have drinks and a talk, then , when its dark at the lagoon, you jump in the water and it really does all glow around you !! really smart ! then back to the hotel for about 8 oclock. take a towel and cossie for this one. ( $28 each I think )
River tubing is also a really good laugh, we did this for around $40 each, so funny going down the rapids, thats at ocho rios.
Take a taxi into falmouth on a wednesday to the bendown market, its great, charming little town.
you can do montego bay shopping at the tour desk ( only $37 for us 3 ) but its a real hassle, jamaicans just seeing you as a dollar sign, wasn't keen.
No need to bring beach towels from home, starfish provide fresh ones everyday.
let me know if you want to know anything else !
Thanks juby 5, the info is much appreciated. We are getting excited just reading about it!!
No probs joyceb, happy to help.
Be sure to check out cassablanca restraunt at starfish, its really lovely and a world away from the buffet there.
Also, we took insulated travel mugs for our drinks, perfect for keeping them cool and taking to the beach, loads of people had them, the bar staff don't mind filling them up .
And take plenty of mosquito spray, one with lots of deet and be aware that you really do need high factor sunscreen, my daughter had on factor 50 and still burnt, we never went below factor 25 and came home with a great tan !
Have a fab time ! :cheers
Would check with virgin it was'nt when we went we had to apy our own when we checked in at airport it not much about $20.

Hope you have a great time

katy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.