Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Hello Suzanne

Roqetas fits most peoples idea of a Costa holiday resort with a number of high rise hotels on a long beach.
Mojacar however is low rise and more spread out along a coastline where the beach varies but with many excellent areas.
The pueblo of Mojacar is a Km or 2 up a hill from the playa but there is a good bus service between the two and along the playa

I am surprised that you get the impression that Mojacar is more English. There is certainly an area where you will find a number of English bars but in general is very Spanish and you will find a variety of bars/restaurants along the playa.
There is however a development between Mojacar and Garrucha which you may find quiet in January.

Roquetas is nearer to the airport than Mojacar - a considderation if you are not hiring a car.

Living in the mountains above Mojacar, I may be biased in my liking of the area!

Denis
Thanks Denis,
We are relieved to hear that Mojacar is more Spanish than we had first heard. The apartments look much nicer there than in Roquetas.
We are really interested in Mojacar Playa, can you offer any suggestions of best location / areas to avoid? As we have a toddler, we would need a number of tapas bars, restaurants etc within walking distance (about 15 mins walk max).

Any info that you can give about Mojacar would be great as we know so little about the area - the only things we've heard are some posts on this discussion forum and from friends who regularly holiday in Roquetas.

Many thanks
Suzanne
Hi Suzanne,as Dennis says there are British owned bars/restaurants in Mojacar,probably about 20 I guess.There are a hundred more that are mainly Spanish.Just walk past the Brit ones if you dont want to go in,nobody here in Mojacar has people outside their restaurants dragging people in off the streets as in some European resorts. :lol:

The Mojacar Playa is about 7 km long and the Garrucha end is pretty quiet and long walks or bus rides would be necessary.

Garrucha Town is possibly a good location for you as its very Spanish indeed and off hand think there is only one Brit Bar there.It would certainly give you a good oportunity to practice your Spanish as obviously if you choose a Spanish location 95% of the locals will not speak English.
If you choose Mojacar,you will find most of the locals do.

If Mojacar is your final choice I would suggest you find a property between the Brit strip by the Indalo Hotel and the first roundabout where the commercial centre is.This is about a 3.5km bit of road.

Another very Spanish town you might want to look at is "Carboneras" Lots of great Spanish tapas bars.Wherever you go have a great one,John.

P.S.The following map may help you to find a good place in Mojacar.........

http://www.viva-almeria.com/modules.php?name=Map&pid=4130
Suzanne, if you are interested, have a look at http://www.losatalayones.com

Our lovely apartment is just off the Playa in the middle of the area John describes, 5-10 minute walk from the Beachcomber. You can email me at losatalayones@gmail.com

Ian
Hi Suzanne

I would agree with the comments from Denis and John. Mojacar is beautiful with a real Spanish feel to the area. You must visit the Pueblo (village) as it is one of the main attractions.

There is a lovely prom stretching for quite a while down the seafront at mojacar where you can take lovely stroll during the evening.

I would suggest you reconsider a car though as taxi's or shuttles from the airport can sometimes work out more expensive than hiring a car for the whole week. It is a really easy drive from the airport to the resort and if I can do it, anybody can. January will be very quiet on the roads and if you take it easy you cannot fail. http://www.carjet.com are by far the best car hire company............ promise I have used them time and time again. Ps. I am not on commission, nobody is as they are a broker for a range of car hire firms but you get them considerably cheaper through them.

As for accomodation, there will be an abundance of choice at this time of year. Work out what it is you want and then start shopping around for the best prices etc.

I am sure you will love it.........

Diane
hi diane
how did you find carjet as a company? we are thinking of usin them for our trip to mojacar next summer. we have just booked flights to murcia so will be driving down and want to use carjet from the airport for two weeks as we have got a really good price off them. we have never pre booked a car before as always hired them in resort so am a bit nervous about amy problems once you arrive.
Used Carjet from Almeria this summer with no problems at all.

Kind Regards
Stewart
Just back from Mojacar, used carjet, they were fine, got a free upgrade, no problems at all.
Regards
Tony.
We've used Carjet at least half a dozen times over the last 2-3 years and never a problem. They are always the cheapest around.
Hi Diane, we have been going to mojacar since my daughter was 6months old and she is now 18 so Iam sure you will get on alright with your little one, you said you are looking for an apartment try http://www.completecareholiday.com I always use them and have always had super places and they will book transfers and or cars for you if you want them to, you can book on line or they have a free phone no.[no I'm not on comission] just ask for Sandra and mention my name, I am flying out on Sunday I can't wait!!!! good luck Sandra [yes thats my name too]
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.