Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
hi guys, just to let you know i have been to the dr and they think its infected somehow or an allergic reaction to whatever stung/bit me.
hi just wondering if anyone been to es cana this year and seen jellyfish. iv read different reports and it seems they just turn up .was wondering how long they stay for.are they there with the tide.i have heard that there are less by miami hotel when they are there,we are going early may and was wondering if any sitings yet .any feed back appreciated..i have heard alot of people get stung and to put amonia or vinegar onto the stings which should help..apparently when they are at one beach if you walk to the next one it could be clear of them.
Hi I stayed in Es Cana from the 12th-26th May this year. The first week there were loads of jelly fish in the sea and on the shore line of all the beaches. There was also a problem with seaweed. The second week as if by magic the jellyfish had gone and the seaweed disappeared. We spent the second week of our holiday on the beach and swimming in the sea. I wondered where the jellyfish had gone and my OH said "They had gone on their holidays" :D
There were lots of jellyfish whilst we were there (7th-14th May), but at the end of the beach - near the miami hotel it seemed pretty clear of them, it was down to the weather i think? the sea was very rough & we weren't allowed on the pedaloes until our very last day.Local people were helpful, putting vinegar or vodka on the stings for us holidaymakers, I thought it was very kind of them to help - especially when people had been advised not to go in the sea :duh - It was my sons girlfriend who got stung, but not badly enough to need treatment and the sting went after a day.

M
I have read on a web site (can't recall where), saying that from June this year the authority's were going to pay local fishermen to catch Jellyfish as they were aware it was becoming a problem. This was extracted from a local newspaper in Ibiza. Will try and track down and get info right. Unless anyone else knows and can help. I'm interested because going in two weeks with my children and they love playing in sea.
Sky news is reporting that the Med is being "swarmed" by Jellyfish :cry

Fantastic.....5 weeks before we go!

sky news video
hi..
i used to live in ibiza, and i rarely heard of anyone been stung by jellyfish, there was a beach that got quite a few of them at a certain time of the year, but i cant remember which or when.. but im sure you will be fine..have a nice holiday
We did come across a few when we went over to Formentera back in July.
Just back from Santa Eulalia. We didn,t see any in the sea there and we were in sea most days although some people were saying they had seen them and had been bitten but the sea definately was not swarming with them.
Not sure about now but when we went to Es Cana last September there were hundreds of them and somedays we couldn't get in the water :(
Not sure whether this has been mentioned before but put some antihistamine tablets in your first aid kit. They really help with jelly fish stings.
The island is weird at the moment with jellyfish!!

Just got back yesterday, for a few days there was a strong wind from the north, we were in Port Des Torrent (just near San An bay) and our beach was being blasted with huge waves.....yet not a single jellyfish. We went up to Port de San Miguel on the same day to see friends and there beach was also being lashed with big waves and there was jellyfish littering the beach and being washed up in their hundreds!!

Went to Portinatx, Cala Llonga, Santa Eulalia & Sargamassa and didnt see a single one!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.