Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
Jellyfish
53 Posts
We have stayed in Es Cana four times (Coral Playa Hotel) always in August and the only time we encountered jelly fish was at the Cala Nova beach (next door to the Cala Nova Hotel) on a day when the waves were really rolling in!!!

Have used the main beach of Es Cana and never had a problem.

The best way to treat stings is with vinegar and whatever you do, don't scratch them.
There is a chance of getting them on basically any part of the island, however I think its usually more likely around rocky areas - I have seen them in loads of different places while swimming and have been fortunte and I have never been stung. They are tiny and I don't think they are overly posionous, probably more like a neetle sting. I often read the Ibiza press and have never seen any reports about them doing any serious damage to anybody.
I've been reading in the papers about a massive influx of purple jellyfish along the Spanish Mainland and the Balearics. Reports of lots of tourists being stung and parents keeping kids out of the seas. To me a holiday is all about swimming in the sea, anyone know of any problems?. They say it is down to a combination of very warm seas and the decline of sea turtles who eat a truckload of jellyfish. Admittedly the reports were in a few tabloids so it may have been exaggerated a little. :yikes
My kids are especially looking forward to playing in the sea at Portinaxt, they hate jellyfish at the best of times so I think I will keep quiet about this for the time being.

This was in the Ibiza Sun this week.

Jelly Fish Warning.
Particularly beaches on the north side of the island could suffer from a jelly fish invasion over the next few days. This is because of the warm temperatures of the water & the change in wind direction to the North which is bringing these creatures nearer to the shore. 30 people were stung in one afternoon at Playa den Bossa beach last week even though the Red Cross put up a yellow flag warning about the danger of bathing. The Red Cross recommend that if you are stung then you put ice wrapped in a plastic bag on the sting to take the pain away over a period of 30 minutes. The Ibiza Sun team have always used another remedy for jelly fish stings which has so far proved to be effective. When any of our team were stung we ran up the beach to the nearest bar & dowsed the sting in vinegar which also appears to stop the swelling & takes the pain away. If this remedy is followed by the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol then the whole incident soon seems to go away.
We were in Portinatx in May 2005 and just before the end of our holiday there was a storm out at sea... The next day all these little beggars were in in the bay :omg

It looked as though there were 3 different different types, pink, brown and almost clear. We were told that only the pink ones have a bad sting (don't take my word for it though!) the others being like a bee sting.

We took a pedaloe out and went round into the bay on the far right where there isn't a beach and it looks like a natural harbour and there were some huge ones, but back at the baches they were only small.

My daughter made up for not being able to swim by catching them an watching them in her bucket - they wern't so yeucky after that :)
Here's some photos on my website (Mods please remove the links if it's not ok). On my gallery there's also some photo's of Portinatx if anyone's interested :) http://www.ladyfyre-graphics.com (in the gallery)

-Angela-

*Sorry had to remove piccies as they were stretching the page - Glynis*
we go to playa den bossa on the 6th , has anyone herd any more about the jellyfish? are they still there ? as we havnt herd any more about them ?
There have always been jelly fish of some sort or another off Ibiza. It is simply a case of how many at any particular time. I have seen them loads of times while swimming but have never been stung, I wouldn't worry to much, if you see them, calmy swim away from them. Don't go swimming by yourself in unattended bays.
off to pdb next saturday 20 th, whats the latest on the jelly fish problem, are they still around ? is it a waste of time doing a boat trip ie formentera, or catalan trip if these critters are still in abundance, cheers
Just got back from PDB/figueritas.... no jellyfish there, but the beach that the boat takes you to on Formentera was infested with them.... also the beach at Formentera was packed and the logistics of getting there were a nightmare!!

I'll be posting a report on our stay at the Mira Mola appartments...

ATB,J.
thanks mersey gull
We have just returned for a very enjoyable holiday in Potinatx and can confirm that the beaches are completely clear of jellyfish. We only saw one the whole time we were there and that was about half a mile out whilst on the glass bottom boat.
Was in Figeuritas/playa den bossa last week - no jellyfish there, but the sea at formentara was full of them... - didn't see anyone who got stung thoiugh..

ATB,J.
Got back from Portinatx last week.

Didn't see any jellyfish - loads of proper fish - decent size aswell. Red Mullet and some grey fish with spiny backs - handle with care!
Hi there,

Heading out to the island on Saturday, and was just wondering what the situation with Jellyfish is this year.
I remember seeing quite a few last year, which put me off swimming in the sea. Hopefully there wont be as many this year.

Can anyone shed any light on their experiences so far this year.

Angela x
If you get stung, pee on it! Difficult if you're a lady i know!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellyfish
hello
We went to Playa D'en Bossa at begining of June and for 6 days we saw none, bu then on the 7th day there were loads coming in!
We were fishing with nets with my daughter at the time and we ended up with a bucket full of jelly fish!
I have no clue if it's a one of type of thing though and maybe they'd be gone the next day! We went home so couldn't tell!
Got back last night 2 people were bitten in our hotel - a child quite badly - her arm was a mess. Have been told if there is a yellow flag on the beach they are about!
Got back last night 2 people were bitten in our hotel - a child quite badly - her arm was a mess. Have been told if there is a yellow flag on the beach they are about!

Jellyfish can't get out of the water and they don't bite, they sting! You've mistaken them with ants of something! :D :wink: Sorry... just having a little fun...

I've been swimming in the med around Ibiza, a couple of years ago I went swimming near to Portinax and yes, I did see quite a few medium sized pink jelly-fish in the water, I just got out and never got stung despite having to swim through them. I've been swimming in the same place at other times of the year and didn't see them. I think it's more of an occasional problem, just be on the look out for them and if you see them, calmly get out.

On another note, this sort of problem isn't confined to the Med. My little cousin was recently stung on a beach on the south coast of England.
where do jellyfish usually hang out is it by the front or further in so if we was on a booze cruise and get in sea on one of them are they likely too be around there, im a big baby lol and dont wanna get stung.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.