Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
hi
normally you would need to get 2 estimates for replacement for a similar type of ring from 2 jewellers. explain that you havent got the receipt as it was from an ex, they should be happy with that.

any query you can pm me,

cheers

jane
Hi

Thanks for your response, I do actually have the receipt so should I say that I don't have it? I just want to be forearmed when I make the call!!!

Thanks!
Have you got a police report? I think any claim has to be accompanied by a crime/lost report from the local police, saying when and where you lost/had it stolen. The Goan police are not very helpful in this as they assume everyone is scamming their Insurers.
I lost the ring in the UK but don't know where or when so haven't reported it.
When we made a claim after a break in they asked us for the crime number and to describe the items and estimate their value.
This we did and were paid in a couple of weeks.
Vanda had a great time shopping for new stuff.
best if you have pictures of it including you wearing it if not you need to contact the police and report it missing i think you still get a number for insurance purposes as for your reciept i would say it was a gift and you dont have it (if needed you can always say you managed to get it off your ex)also dont mention it was bought in goa all your doing is complicating things remember it was a gift anyway.so i would just go to a jewellers and find something similar or something you like if you have no pictures ! and get quotes to cover it always aim high as they tend to knock you down anyway
if you have the receipt you should put it in. Without that and with no other proof you ever had a ring, I can't see the insurance paying out. If you start off by saying you have no receipt you may well lose any chance you have of getting the claim.
I heard last season that some tourists pay up to £200 to a local policeman for a crime report stating they lost expensive jewellry, watches etc.

**Moles - have removed some of your comments, not relevant to the topic in question. Also remember what you are posting is as you say 'hearsay' - Admin**
Honesty is always the best policy. If you have a receipt you have a retailer name. The insurance company could contact them to replace the item and send it from India, there is always the question of import duty though.
Without proof of ownership I think you will struggle to get the claim acknowledged, the receipt is your only proof.
If you can not find it then it has to be lost. Just contact your insurer in the usual way explaining this. You have a receipt but have not had a valuation, if you present the receipt they will only pay out on the price of what you paid (don't forget any excess you have deducted). If you had a valuation done, then I would say it would have been higher than what you paid and they would have paid out on that valuation, and not on the price you paid. You do not need a crime number from the police unless you think you may have lost it away from home, if you think you have then you should have reported it by now as it may have been handed in.
I claimed on a ring that was stolen in Goa a couple of years ago. I did have a valuation certificate i paid round about £110 for the ring, and it was valued at £720 here in the UK. I submitted my valuation certificate with the claim form and police report from Calangute police station. I had an accessor phone me up and asked me to describe the ring, the shade of blue (saphire stone) the size of the stones & also the size of the Baguette White Diamonds. Based on the information i gave the estimator valued the ring at £780. I told him it was hand made in Goa, and if it could be made to spec, i would accept an identical ring. They could'nt make the ring for this money, so was given £780 this was paid direct into my bank account.
My insurers at the time were LloydsTSB.
i do believe that jewellery imported into the uk should be declared on entry,otherwise it becomes contraband,i seem to remember a thread on this in the past ,so perhaps this may also have a bearing on it
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.