General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I haven't had any dealings with claims myself, however I would have thought that they would want to know when and who advised you not to fly :que Could you not make an appointment to speak with the initial doctor?
Yes I will have to - she just said 'see how you feel after the weekend' and I didn't think I'd have to go back to her for her to tell me I wasn't fit to travel. I knew myself I was still poorly & my antibiotics didnt finish till the day I was supposed to fly.

Then, when my daughter got a high temp I knew there would be no way we would be going :(
I would have thought that after explaining to your GP that you need written proof of your illness for your insurers that he/she would put it in writing that you and your daughter had suspected Swineflu and were advised against travel.
Thats the frustrating thing - the GP hasnt put any information regarding the swine flu on the form - only the subsequent chest infection. Also, she wrote that I said my daughter had the high temp & flu symptoms but also that there was nothing on her record either - I'm sure she's trying to mess it up for me!
I think the main problem is you spoke to Receptionist ref your daughter. Personally I'd make an appointment with the doc, if you spoke to the doc and was told over the phone it was likely you had swine flu and there is NOTHING in your notes to that effect I'd be slightly worried. Talking to doc face to face is probably the only way you'll get this sorted but if you are the one who's made the decision not to travel without having the doc say "Don't travel" you may find insurance won't pay out.
Yeah I know - I have spoken to the doctor and she is going to take the form back & amend it. Our surgery's policy is as follows ::

What should I do when I contact the surgery?
The first point of contact will be our receptionist who will have been trained to deal with your call effectively. The receptionist will need the following information:

Whether the patient has symptoms of swine flu. In particular, they will want to know if the patient has a fever greater than 38 degrees.

Whether the patient is seriously ill and in need urgent medical attention (irrespective of whether they have symptoms of the flu)

Do they belong to one of the high risk groups:

High risk groups:

<5yrs old

>65 yrs old

Chronic lung, heart, kidney or neurological disease

Chemotherapy, or drugs affecting immune system (steroids, Methotrexate, azathioprine etc)

Pregnant women

Patients who've been treated for asthma within past 3 years

"Morbidly obese" patients (BMI > 40). i.e. patients who are exceptionally overweight

If necessary, you may be called back by a doctor or nurse for further assessment, but the receptionist will make this clear to you when you call.

I was told that as she wasn't in the high risk group and was responding well to paracetamol & fluids I wouldnt expect a call back. I didn't question this, not expecting it to cause a problem with the travel insurance.
Would it be worth telling the insurance company this?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.