Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Ah Jean back already . feels like youve only just gone . Welcome home :wave: . looking forward to reading the review .
Lynne,I have done the review while its fresh in my mind!.
I am already looking for to go back in September :D
Read it Jean .Quite fancy that myself ;)
Jay

Glad you enjoyed the trip. The Alps have had a period of great weather(we've had the same, 30+ some days) though the last couple of days have been rainy it looks better today. OH left home at 5am heading for Austria to do some climbing. I've had a few ski holidays in Kitzbühel. I spent Christmas there about 20years ago and had a great time.
Judith,I had a wonderful holiday.I think the break in Germany in May wetted my appetite!.
I hope to go back in September and stay in either St Gilgen or Fuschl so we are nearer to Salzburg and Bavaria.
I dont know why I have waited so long to visit this beautiful area only a 2 hour flight from home.
Lyn,I think you and you family would love it as theres lots of activities available.You have the added benefit of having relatives near Salzburg!
I think my AI holidays in Turkey and Sharm may be over :rofl
my parents love Austria and are always suggesting that I should go as well. Love the hill climbing and the scenery
Hi Jay Trip,

When you go in September you might have the chance of watching the annual festivities when the cattle are brought down from the high Alms for the winter. It's hard to predict when it will take place because it does depend on the weather but in our experience always happens on a Saturday morning and afternoon. We've been lucky enough to catch it a number of times in Kitzbuhel as well as in the Mayrhofen area. The cows are all decorated with flowers entwined around their horns and fancy cow bells around their necks etc and they driven down, herd by herd and through the town. Much merrymaking accompanies this, including the herders handing out free schnapps to those who gather to watch!

SM
Hi Jay

Our first holiday to Austria was also at Kitzbuhel and also at the Hotel Edelweiss and like you we loved it. Klaus and Veronique, along with Gerthaud and his wife were the most wonderful hosts and couldn't do enough for you. The food in the hotel was excellent as well along with the nice idea of the packed lunches for you to take out. We also made some very good friends on that holiday.

We get a nice letter from Klaus and Veronique every Christmas and we will definitely go back there at some point in the future.

Our second visit to Austria was Seefeld which was also beuatiful and that holiday opened the door to Mittenwald in Bavaria, as we took the train to Mittenwald from Seefeld. We always said we would go back to Mittenwald for a holiday and we did in April this year. Stayed in the most wonderful apartment, spotless, beautifully furnished and fabulous views and again the most wonderful owners, for one week for the grand sum of 280 euros!!! It was so good we have booked to go back for two weeks next June.
Sugarbabe the Edelweiss is a truly wonderful hotel.I didnt feel I was staying in a hotel but as a guest in their house.Klaus has promised me a lift for next year,as we were on the 3rd floor!It was worth it for the beautiful view up the Hahnenkamm mountain. It was so relaxing as there was no queueing for meals and no ill mannered guests,which in larger AI hotels we have encountered!All were very nice and all ages from 2 young girl students to older retired couples.
Does anyone know what the weather is likely to be like in September?The couple in the next room ,who only lived 2 miles from us,had been to Austria when they bring the cattle down and said it was lovely then.
It certainly is a beautiful country which I intend to visit time and time again.
Jay Trip

So glad you enjoyed it. Our previous holiday to this had been Tenerife but I am afraid after visiting Austria, I am afraid I cannot see us ever going to the "popular" destinations again. It is Austria, Switzerland or Germany for us from now on!!

Not sure what the weather will be like in September. We have a week booked in Titisee in the Black Forest on 6th September. In April, week beginning 21st, the weather in Mittenwald was mixed although we had one scorcher of a day. You really cannot be anywhere nicer than being surrounded by those beautiful mountains on a nice sunny day.

Good thing about the Edelweiss is both Thomsons and Crystal usually have some excellent last minute deals. We were sick when we found out the price some people had paid when we were there as they had booked last minute and we had our holiday booked for months. Our problem though is we live near Aberdeen so are extremely limited destination wise.

By the way my husband got his first tasting of his now favourite beer in the Edelweiss, Erdinger, Weiss Bier. I am not really a beer fan but can quite easily enjoy a super chilled glass of Erdinger.
Jay

The weather in Austria can be very unpredictable any time of the year, sometimes September can be lovely, other times awful, we have even had snow in previous years. At the moment it's miserable it's poured with rain for the last two days and a friend who was holidaying on the German/Austrian border has driven up to spend the day with us as she was so fed up with the weather. I have had some great weekends in Austria in September though, when we were able to spends hours outside in the sunshine, the summer heat had cooled down somewhat and the clear skies and fresh mountain air was lovely.

Judith
Sugarbabe,I only booked 1 week before we went as my husband wouldnt go to Turkey because it was too hot.I thought a holiday in the mountains was a good alternative :rofl I got it at an excellent price ,as did many returning guests.I think they have all realised there are always good late deals around for July and August.
I booked it through Hays travel which were the same price as the web price.
My son,who went to Regensburg University in Bavaria,drinks that beer and I am sure Sainsburys sell it!
Judith,How far are you from the Austrian border?My daughter was born in Germany in September many years ago and I remember the weather being lovely around that time.I suppose its a risk you take and as there are always good deals its better than spending the same amount on a UK holiday.
I am even going to treat myself to some new walking boots and some Nordic poles :rofl
Jay

It takes me just over an hour to drive to Austria and about an hour and a half to Switzerland. On a clear day we can see the Alps from the village where I live.

Judith
Jay Trip.

First thing we did when we got back was source the beer. Asda sell it but our Sainsbury's don't sell it although they do sell their own brand of wheat beer. Now I buy it from Makro by the box!!! In fact we went out for a meal last night to a hotel overlooking the harbour in Stonehaven and what did they have on draught.... Erdinger. Hubby was well chuffed. :cheers

Judith I am so jealous of you living in such a beautiful area!!
Hi Jaytrip,

As Judith says, the weather will be very changeable in September but that means that you will have some sunny days in amongst the damp ones! We used to regularly go on walking holidays in September in both the Tyrol and the Julian Alps in Slovenia and have had days when we'd be walking in shirt sleeves followed by days when we'd be walking on the high tops in fresh snow from the firts falls of the season! We've also ahd some pretty spectacular summer storms where you're only option is to head for the enarest mountian hut and sit it out - they tend to blow out fairly quickly and then the air feels wonderfully fresh. The only safe prediction is that the weather will be unpredicatable except in the short-term. You just have to keep a close eye on the local weather forcasts and be ready to change your plans at the last minute if need be.

Kitzbuhel is ideally placed for that - look out the window and the high tops are covered in heavy cloud and it's raining in the valley (and hence alomost certainly snowing on top of the Hahnekamm or the Kitzbuheler Horn) and you can decide to hop on a train to Salzburg or Innsbruck for day instead. Or, because the weather can be so localised - hop on the bus and go walking in the Wildekaise that day instead!

SM
Jay

I'm often envious of people living in the Yorkshire/Derbyshire Dales and other beautiful places in the UK. I love the sea I would like to be able to drive to the ocean in an hour or so instead of it taking a full day as it does here.
The village where I live is not Alpine or particularly pretty it's just an ordinary German village with some plain and some nice houses a few miles from a city. The best part of being here though is perhaps the cleanliness/tidiness and lack of crime(though all of this is not as good as it used to be) and the fact that we can be in some lovely areas after just a short drive and although the last couple of days have been miserable with lots of rain we don't seem to be awash with the wet stuff in the summer months the way the Uk seems to be these days.
Judith
Judith I have a static caravan on the borders of the Yorkshire/Durham dales in beautiful Teesdale with amazing views but the weather has been dreadful this year.It doesnt feel like a holiday when we are there because its our 2nd home.We also live near the coast which is mainly National trust but I dont think you appreciate where you live.
It was only when I went back to Germany in May after 40 years that I realised how beautiful it was.
To think I only booked the holiday to Austria as a "punishment" to my husband because he wouldnt go to Turkey :rofl .
He loved it as much as me and cant wait to go back!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.