Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
The weather in Austria is similar to the UK normally, by that I mean totally unpredictable. I live in Bavaria southern Germany not far from the border with Austria and at the moment it is 9° and showery, on Sunday we went walking in the Alps and the weather was lovely, last night it snowed in the area where we had walked.
Last year the weather in September was mostly sunny and warm. It's just the luck of the draw, this summer has been poor, some lovely days some rainy ones (not as bad as the UK though).
  • Edited by Judith 2007-09-05 16:48:45
Sorry, can't tell you about the weather at that time of year, but we stayed at the Seehotel Freiberg in Zell am See in July 2005 and I loved the place!! While we were there the weather was really hot, around 30 degrees quite a lot of the time.
I would recommend Zell am See, it was lovely.
Have a look at the following post:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=44538

You'll see that we had some bad weather when we went to Zell in mid September. Lovely area though!
Last year I stayed near Zell first week in September. Weather was good but days took time to warm up. Alpine areas are prone to early morning fog at that time of year and Zell gets more because of the lake -further up the valley there was no fog and Zell seemed to be surrounded by smoke! However, once this has burnt off the rest of the days were fantastic with cloudless blue skies and high afternoon temps. But be warned, it cools down rapidly after dark so dress accordingly if you're going out. If the weather is like this I recommend a trip to the Franz Josefs glacier/ Großglockner strasse as the road quickly climbs above the fog, if you haven't got a car there is a Postbus at around 09:00 most days.

Worthersee is further south and it makes a difference, I used to go to Velden late August/early September and it was still summer weather. No fog or cold nights but you can get odd wet days.

If you want to see the weather most Austrian resort tourist office websites have a link to a live camera.
Thankyou for all your replies! Will repost back to the other half and hopefully get something booked :D
Worthersee camera and one high above Zell am See so you can see the current weather rather than take my word for it!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.