Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi Merril, sounds like you had a good time in magical Malta, I am intrigued by your on-line name can I ask you, do you know what a merril is ?.

Sliema2
merril was my sons hamster a few years ago called after a pokemon and my hubby couldnt think of an online name so he called himself after the hamster and we are merrilgb on most sites lol
Did you notice a picture of Malta's national bird on the Lm1 coin? Have a look at the name of this bird in Maltese, it is a Blue Rock Thrush in English
http://www.centralbankmalta.com/site/currency2h.html
Glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday here.
Hi Merill, as ingliza has quite rightly pointed out a Merril is the national bird of Malta which is why I was asking if you knew what one was, it is also the name of our favourite restaurant in Malta which is Il-Merril, St Vincents Street, Sliema, very near the ferries and very good it is too :D .

Regards
Sliema2
we seen that resturant but never clicked lol also we seen it on a name plate of a house next to st pauls catacumes but still never clicked my hubby was going to take a pic of it for his msn but the spelling is different merill only one r and 2 ll are we thick or are we realy thick lol :oops:
Hi merrilgb,
No you are not thick :tut I mentioned The L1 coin because obviously you had seen one of those, however the Central Bank's site spelling of "merrill" is incorrect :oops:

According to both Birdlife Malta and my Maltese dictionary the correct spelling is Merill,as spelt in the name of Sleima2's favorite restaurant.

Sadly, I have never seen a Merill in over 20 years I have lived here. Here is a picture of the handsome little fellow. He is a bit smaller than a Blackbird, lives on rocky coastlines and cliffs, eats insects, lizards and fruit, and his female is ordinary dark brown.
http://www.hlasek.com/monticola_solitarius_2416.html
Hello Merrilgb

Glad to hear you like the Grand, We're staying there for a week, haven't heard much feed back about it. But we decided to go for it anyway.

Thanks for giving us feed back!
Slim,
The Grand is a lovely hotel :lol:
http://www.grandhotelmalta.com/english/location.htm
While you are in Gozo go up to Nadur and try a freshly baked ftira at Maxlokk Bakery :wow
Happy Holidays 8)
Hi Slim
just thought i would tell you a bit of what we seen when we were in the grand, its not a large hotel but the staff are very friendly we went into the bar area to have a coffee and it looked into the dining area which for a small hotel is quite large it was just after breakfast so we didnt realy see any food but the coffee was the best we had during our stay, when we finished we thought we would have a look round so we asked at reception and were told it was not a problem and that the pool was on the 5th floor so we went to have a look and it was a lovely pool area with great views the pool was small but plenty of sun beds and very clean when we came out of the lift i caught a glimps of what i thought was a small seating area but when we returned to go back in the lift i discovered it was actualy one of the rooms wich seemed very large and very nice.When we returned down stairs and had a look on the notice board we discovered it has its own cinema which is open on a Friday and Saturday and is free.The views from this hotel are breathtaking so i hope you have a lovely time and let us all know how you get on.Hope this is helpfull.
Thanks folks am v excited!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.